Presented by the ILA Public Policy Committee.
Not sure how to get started with your nomination?
Review the Criteria and Eligibility below.
This award was established in 1989 to recognize Robert R. McClarren for:
- inspiring and guiding the development of a comprehensive legislative program on behalf of Illinois libraries and the Illinois Library Association;
- serving with singular distinction on the ILA Library Legislative Development Committee;
- being instrumental in establishing a grassroots program of legislator education and awareness;
- drafting language for library legislation, which benefits Illinois libraries;
- being an articulate spokesperson on behalf of Illinois libraries with the secretary of state, the General Assembly members, and Congressional delegation members;
- being instrumental in drawing statewide support for library legislative initiatives from a broad base of constituencies; and
- embodying by example the highest standard for citizen initiative in the shaping of the laws governing Illinois library development.
The award is given to a worthy recipient from the Illinois library community—librarian, trustee, legislator, or library—who has contributed significantly to legislative development in the state of Illinois.
An individual, group, or institution may be nominated.
The award recipient shall demonstrate outstanding accomplishment in at least one of the pioneering and exemplary achievements (cited above) of Robert R. McClarren’s distinguished career.
The recipient will receive a certificate. The recipient's name will be added to the permanent plaque on display at the Illinois State Library building.
The nominator’s statement of support should address all criteria under the individual awards as outlined. Nominator must submit the nomination form and attach all support statements, letters, and documentation, etc. required by the award’s criteria. ILA must receive all nominations by May 15.
Previous Robert R. McClarren Legislative Development Award winners
1989 Robert R. McClarren
1990 Sherwood Kirk
1991 Eva R. Brown
1992 no award
1993 Illinois State Senator Philip Rock
1994 no award
1995 Illinois Secretary of State George Ryan
1996 no award
1997 Deborah Miller
1998 Pamela P. Feather
1999 no award
2000 G. Victor Johnson
2001 Speaker of the Illinois House of Representatives Michael J. Madigan
2002 Sharon Hogan
2003 Chadwick T. Raymond
2004 Lee A. Logan
2005 no award
2006 U.S. Representative Donald A. Manzullo
2007 Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White
2008 Lou Ann Jacobs
2009 Tamiye Meehan
2010 Kathleen McSwain
2011 Donna Dziedzic
2012 Illinois State Senator Edward Maloney
2013 Denise Zielinski
2014 Illinois House of Representative Kelly Burke
2015 Illinois State Senator William Haine
2016 Kip Kolkmeier
2017 Illinois State Representative Michael J. Zalewski
2018 Illinois State Senator Scott Bennett