ILA Legislative Principles
The Illinois Library Association will work with a broad coalition of library advocates to improve funding for libraries. The association will:
- Work to restore legislated funding levels such as the school library per capita grants, continue to be vigilant to ensure public library per capita grants remain fully funded, and explore alternative sources of library funding.
- Support legislative proposals to mitigate the harmful effects of the tax cap limitation act.
- Work with the legislature to increase the Secretary of State’s budget in order to increase the funding for the Illinois State Library.
- Work with the legislature to ensure responsible pension systems.
Intellectual Freedom and Privacy
The Illinois Library Association is committed to protecting intellectual freedom and privacy while providing open access to information for all Illinois residents. The association will:
- Continue to educate the public on the safe use of the Internet, including interactive web applications, by children.
- Continue to oppose legislation mandating the use of Internet filters in libraries.
- Encourage governing boards of schools and libraries to develop an Acceptable Internet Use Policy with input from their community.
- Continue to oppose legislation that erodes the privacy of library users.
Access to Library Services
The Illinois Library Association believes access to library services should be a right and responsibility of every Illinois resident. The association will:
- Oppose legislation that would erode public library service areas.
- Work to extend tax-supported public library service to the 9 percent of Illinois residents currently unserved.
- Work to ensure libraries are established in good faith with intentions to operate as a library.
- Work to ensure that school library legislation is expanded to equip all school libraries with certified media personnel.
- Encourage and support initiatives that increase connectivity by ensuring libraries are critical partners in cost-effective broadband planning and build-out.
Increase Effectiveness of Illinois Libraries
The Illinois Library Association is committed to promoting legislation that will increase the effectiveness of Illinois libraries. The association will:
- Work to develop library legislation that is comparable to legislation benefiting other entities of government.
- Work to develop initiatives that improve the ability of Illinois libraries to provide library services to the citizens of Illinois.
- Work to ensure transparency of government and access to information in ways that are cost effective for governmental entities.
- Provide measured, thoughtful direction for legislation that could provide administrative cooperation and public service enhancement that result in economies of scale to public libraries.