The Diversity Committee develops, monitors, evaluates, and recommends diversity efforts in the association and initiates strategies
The Committee's primary objectives are:
- Initiate and promote training and library services that address issues in diversity.
- Identify and promote best practices and resources for diversity and inclusion in library profession and services.
- Identify and promote strategies to recruit and retain diverse workers in Illinois libraries.
- Provide mentoring and support for ALA’s Spectrum scholars and other diverse individuals in Illinois in obtaining a graduate degree and leadership positions within the profession.
- Develop, monitor, evaluate, and recommend diversity efforts in the association and initiate strategies, in conjunction with the Nominating Committee, to increase diversity in ILA’s membership and leadership.
The ILA Diversity Committee adopted the following broad definitions of diversity and inclusion.
Diversity is the range of human differences, including but not limited to race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital and/or familial status, mental and/or physical impairment and/or disability, military status, economic status, political affiliation, and other human distinguishing characteristics.
Inclusion is involvement and empowerment, where the inherent worth and dignity of all people are recognized.
Committee membership is not more than ten personal members from diverse types of library settings. Members serve three-year, staggered terms. Chair is appointed by the vice president/president-elect of ILA for one year.
- Katrina Belogorsky, Co-chair Adult Services Reference Librarian at Skokie Public Library
- Trixie Dantis, Co-chair Teen Services Supervisor at Arlington Heights Memorial Library
- Andrew Fuerste-Henry, Member Reference & Instruction Librarian at Six Mile Regional Library District
- Jeana Mays-Browne, Member Glenwood-Lynwood Public Library District
- Jordan Neal, Member Champaign Public Library
- Kelley D. Nichols-Brown, Member Library Director at Richton Park Public Library District
- Nataliya Papushina, Member Branch Supervisor at Indian Trails Public Library District
- Hannah Rapp, Member Head of Readers Advisory & Teen Services at Berwyn Public Library
- Miguel Ruiz, Member Evanston Public Library
- Nancy Weichert, Member University of Illinois at Springfield
- Richard Kong, Board liaison Director at Skokie Public Library