Advocacy is such an easy word, yet so complicated in the minds of many. Why is it that so many library supporters, who themselves are strong community members, don’t understand the importance of speaking out in support of their libraries?
This toolkit was created for you, the library supporter, so that you can learn to be a true library advocate. Your voice will make a difference, especially if it is heard at the right time and in the right place and by the right person. You can be that person to tell the important library story and make a difference.
- The Importance & Purpose of Library Advocacy
- What Is Advocacy?
- Who Should be a Library Advocate
- Why Be a Library Advocate?
- Getting Started: Know Your Library, Know Your Community
- Your Library Message
- Telling Your Library Stories
- Using Data--and Stories--to Show Your Library's Impact & Value
- Developing Your Advocacy Plan
- Putting Your Advocacy Plan into Action!
- Building Your Advocacy Network
- The Public Library Trustee as an Advocate
- Developing a Relationship with Local Officials
- Developing a Relationship with State & Federal Legislators
- Communicating Your Legislative Message
- Online Advocacy Resources