Members providing major support services for membership, leadership, and special interest groups.
ILA's committees provide major support services for ILA membership, leadership, special interest groups, and the Executive Board. Committee chairs are appointed by the current ILA president with the approval of the Executive Board. Terms of office vary and include a single one-year term for most committees. This term is designed to provide an avenue for interested members to become easily involved in ILA activities. The hope is that the experience gained will encourage members to continue their involvement in ILA. ILA members may volunteer or be appointed to these committees.
Interested in joining an ILA committee? Update committee interests
- Advocacy Committee
- The Advocacy Committee focuses on implementation of the legislative agenda as recommended by the Public Policy Committee (PPC) and approved by the ILA Executive Board; develops an annual advocacy plan in conjunction with PPC and the Executive Board; identifies advocacy best practices and implements them as appropriate; builds partnerships with organizations that have similar views; is responsible for advocacy education of ILA members; develops educational materials and programs to improve ILA members’ advocacy skills.
- Awards Committee
- Administers the awards and recognition program of the association annually; publicizes the awards to attract qualified nominees; selects association-wide award winners. Awards, Nomination Submissions, and Procedures
- Best Practices Committee
- Promotes excellence in Illinois libraries by identifying and making known innovative services, community outreach initiatives, and management procedures. Selects an annual award winner and finds methods for encouraging communication among libraries about their best practices, and, using the ILA Web site, features the best of what our libraries are doing.
- Conference Program Committee, 2018
- Coordinates program planning for ILA Annual Conference. Membership will be made up of individuals representing the diverse nature of our association with appointments for eighteen months.
- Diversity Committee
- The Diversity Committee develops, monitors, evaluates, and recommends diversity efforts in the association and initiates strategies
- Finance Committee
Ensures that the association remains fiscally sound by monitoring association finances and developing fiscal policies; submits a recommended annual budget to the ILA Executive Board.
- Fundraising Committee
- Identify fundraising strategies that will provide long-term financial stability for the association, to include, but not limited to, such areas as grants, the endowment, and scholarships. Oversees the Illinois Library Luminaries program, which includes monitoring contributions.
- ILA Reporter Advisory Committee
- To work with the ILA Executive Director to help ensure quality content in the ILA Reporter and to assist in obtaining that content.
- Intellectual Freedom Committee
- Works to resist all attempts to censor library materials or to restrict public access to information.
- iREAD Committee
- The Illinois Reading Enrichment and Development (iREAD) program is a coordinated, self-supporting effort to develop and provide high quality, low cost resources, and products to enable local library staff to promote reading. The program’s primary audience is kindergarten through grade eight, but provides supplemental materials for preschoolers, teens, and adults.
- Nominating Committee
- Develops an annual slate of candidates for the Executive Board, including vice-president/president-elect and ALA councilor (every four years). Nominating Committee Procedures and Timeline
- Public Policy Committee (PPC)
- Provides the association’s focus on legislative matters; recommends studies on projects designed to advance the development of all types of libraries; advocates legislative action which advances library service for all residents of Illinois. Creating or Changing Illinois State Library Law, by Robert P. Doyle