Works to resist all attempts to censor library materials or to restrict public access to information.
• Keeps abreast of statewide and national issues and challenges.
• Gathers and disseminates information to the membership.
• Serves as a clearinghouse and source of information for libraries seeking assistance.
• Promotes intellectual freedom by actively contacting library and school officials where materials or procedures have been challenged, offering the assistance of the ILA membership.
• Raises awareness and provides continuing education activities.
• Selects the Intellectual Freedom Award winner.
• Provides leadership and assistance in access and privacy for electronic information.
Committee membership is not more than ten personal members from diverse types of library settings. Members serve a two-year, staggered term. Chair is appointed by the vice president/president-elect of ILA for one year.
- Rose M. Barnes, Co-chair Adult and Teen Services Librarian at Oak Park Public Library
- Tracy Ruppman, Co-chair Reference/Instruction Librarian & Liaison for the School of Education at Loyola University of Chicago
- Joe Collier, Member Mount Prospect Public Library
- Marissa Ellermann, Member Head of Circulation Services at Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Rachel M Fuller, Member Director of Adult and Youth Services at Urbana Free Library
- Patricia M. Hogan, Member Retired at Poplar Creek Public Library District
- Emily Knox, Member LIS Educator at University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Science
- Maria F. Meachum, Member Wilmington Public Library District
- Dennis Krieb, Board liaison Director at Lewis & Clark Community College