Presented by ILA Awards Committee and the Adult Reading Round Table (ARRT).
Not sure how to get started with your nomination?
Review the Criteria and Eligibility below.
This award recognizes excellence in the planning, development, and delivery of readers’ advisory service to adults and teens and has been created in accordance with the mission statement of the Adult Reading Round Table: “to promote readers’ advisory skills and reading for pleasure through libraries.” Readers’ advisory is the ability to connect readers with materials that will satisfy their desire for something to read for pleasure.
The award is offered annually to individual ILA members, ILA member libraries and departments or groups within ILA member institutions. Applications should be submitted to the ILA awards committee. The recipient will be selected by a subcommittee of the ARRT Steering Committee and the ILA Awards Committee. The Adult Reading Round Table is committed to promoting the award and soliciting nominations.
- Nominees must demonstrate one or more of the following:
- Development of specialized or innovative programs or services;
- Active participation in professional organizations (at the local, state, or national level), including the planning and presentation of programs and/or workshops designed to enhance the quality of readers’ advisory service;
- Influence and/or cooperation with persons and organizations within the local community to encourage reading and discussion;
- Publication of books and/or articles that promote high quality readers’ advisory service and offer methods for strengthening readers’ advisory skills;
- Participation in research projects that contribute to the knowledge and expertise of readers’ advisory practitioners.
Recipient will receive a certificate and a $200 financial award.
Please note that monetary award amounts are subject to change without notice and are contingent upon sponsor funding supplied at the time the award is presented.
The nominator’s statement of support should address all criteria under the individual awards as outlined. Nominator must submit the nomination form and attach all support statements, letters, and documentation, etc. required by the award’s criteria. ILA must receive all nominations by May 15.
Previous Readers' Advisory winners
2015 Downers Grove Public Library
2016 Mike Hominick and Tracy Gossage
2017 Debbie Hoffman
2018 Adult Services Department, Deerfield Public Library
2019 Popular Materials Department, Ela Area Public Library
2020 Cook Memorial Public Library District