Presented by the ILA Awards Committee and Dominican University SOIS in memory of Alex Crosman, director of the Peoria Public Library until his death in 1986. Crosman was instrumental in forming the Junior Members Round Table in Illinois.
We are no longer accepting nominations for this award.
Not sure how to get started with your nomination?
Review the Criteria and Eligibility below.
This award recognizes the achievements of the library workers who are new or relatively new to the field and encourages continued involvement in the profession. Other awards honor those who have accomplished a great deal over a long period of time; this award is to honor people who have accomplished a great deal in a short time.
- Open to those who have been in the library field or profession for ten years or less (MLS not required).
- Open to individuals working in all types of libraries.
- Individuals may nominate themselves or be nominated by others.
- ILA Awards Committee members are not eligible for the award.
- Nominee must be a personal member of ILA or be employed at an institution that is an ILA member.
The nominee's contribution(s) to Illinois libraries as a new library worker may take the form of:
- why the nominee deserves the award (in 200 words or less)
- involvement and contributions to the library field
- involvement in the community or institution served by the nominee's library
- memberships and offices in professional or related organizations;
- honors or recognition received;
- two professional references including names, addresses, and phone numbers
The written nomination statement should support one or more of the applicable criteria. Attach any supporting documentation.
The recipient will be presented with a certificate and a $200 financial award.
Please note that monetary award amounts are subject to change without notice and are contingent upon sponsor funding supplied at the time the award is presented.
The nominator’s statement of support should address all criteria under the individual awards as outlined. Nominator must submit the nomination form and attach all support statements, letters, and documentation, etc. required by the award’s criteria. ILA must receive all nominations by May 15.
Previous Crosman Memorial Award winners
1987 Rachel Miller
1988 Tom Dorst
1989 W. Randall Wilson
1990 Roberta Koscielski
1991 Denise Anton Wright
1992 Ruth Shasteen
1993 Lisa Powell Williams
1994 Mari McKeeth
1995 Teri Wiley
1996 Betsy O'Connell
1997 Elisabeth Butler Burns
1998 Karen Siwak
1999 Michelle L. Budt
2000 no award
2001 Sheri D. Starr
2002 Rose M. Taylor
2003 no award
2004 Diana Brawley Sussman
2005 no award
2006 Kelly Laszczak
2007 Leighton Shell
2008 Skye Lavin
2009 Angie Green
2010 Lauren Jensen
2011 Michele Paladines
2012 Megan Buttera
2013 Kate La Mantia
2014 Maria Ford
2015 Anne Slaughter
2016 Patricia (Trixie) Dantis
2017 Jennifer Hovanec
2018 Emily Johnson
2019 JJ Pionke
2020 Sara Benson
2021 Victoria Blackmer