Library Resource Specialist | RAILS - Reaching Across Illinois Library System
Posted on Aug 29, 2022
- Are you interested in developing a stellar collection of advantageously priced resources to benefit RAILS member libraries?
- Are you skilled at organizing, maintaining and analyzing data and developing efficient procedures?
- Are you a pro at connecting with people to negotiate terms, gather input and promote opportunities?
- Are you curious about and skilled at researching new products and services that might be of interest to libraries?
- Would you like to work with a team of fun, hardworking, creative, and collaborative co-workers who are committed to providing the best possible service to 1,269 academic, public, school, and specialized member libraries across a 27,000 square mile area?
If you answered yes to all these questions, you're the perfect candidate for our new Library Resource Specialist position.
The Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS), is known throughout the state of Illinois and beyond for providing a wide variety of innovative and vital services for libraries of all types. Our Deals & Discounts program is very popular with our members because it saves them precious dollars that they can spend on other library programs and services. While the program is growing, our challenge is to continue to find the resources that will meet the needs and result in substantial savings for our 1,269 member libraries. That's where this newly created position comes in. You will help us identify quality products and services, maintain and analyze data related to purchasing, and process finalized deals – from promotion to training to renewals.
We're looking for someone who likes to find solutions and who has experience working with collections/inventory and project management. You'll work closely with the Director of Library Resources and Programs and other RAILS staff to identify the products and services that will help our members meet the needs of their communities and solve their everyday challenges, establish efficient procedures to help members take advantage of our discount/group purchase offers, and to ensure that every one of our libraries knows about the offers available to them.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Assist in setting up new subscriptions and managing the renewal process, using RAILS group purchasing software and systems and maintaining the databases related to group purchasing.
- Maintain the databases related to group purchasing
- Develop training materials and documentation to help RAILS member libraries participate more fully in the Deals & Discounts program
- Manage day to day vendor relations, including product updates, scheduling webinar/demos for member libraries and general communications with vendor staff
- Research products for potential deals and make recommendations on new deals and discounts to implement
- Respond to member questions about the RAILS Deals & Discounts program
- Promote library resources through RAILS promotional channels and make presentations to a wide variety of audiences
- Attend national/state library conferences, member networking group meetings and other events to promote services and gain feedback on member needs for discounted resources
What RAILS offers:
- Competitive pay
- A generous benefits package that includes health insurance, a retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, and paid time off
- Comfortable office working environment and opportunities to telecommute
- Opportunities for professional development and participation in professional organizations
RAILS is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our human capital is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent is a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and organization's achievement as well.
We are an equal opportunity employer and make employment decisions without regard to differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make individuals unique.
What you'll need:
- Bachelor's degree from four-year college or university in business or related field
- Master's Degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution preferred
- Minimum of three years' demonstrated experience with managing physical and digital collections/inventories, including discovery, selection, usage analysis, de-selection, vendor negotiations
- Minimum of three years' experience managing budgets
- Experience in compiling statistics for data driven decision making
- Ability to synthesis technical information for libraries and the general public
- Knowledge and experience in designing and delivering presentations preferred
- Knowledge and experience creating promotional content and strategies preferred
- Knowledge and experience in working with highly cooperative and collaborative environments
- Experience working with or in library, government or nonprofit environment preferred
- Excellent mathematical, technical, written, and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of people, including RAILS members from all types of libraries, colleagues at all levels of the RAILS organization, and others
- Ability to think creatively and "out of the box," and to come up with new and innovative ways to provide and promote library resources/programs
- Exceptional project management skills
- Excellent computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to make presentations in a wide range of settings
- Ability to work effectively without supervision, to exercise sound, independent judgment, to foresee potential problems and to suggest effective solutions
$46,239 - $57,798
RAILS - Reaching Across Illinois Library System
125 Tower Drive
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
How to apply
If you would like to support our member libraries please apply on the RAILS Job Board at: https://jobs.railslibraries.org/