SHARE Director | Illinois Heartland Library System
Posted on Jun 19, 2017
Position: SHARE Director
FLSA: Exempt Location: Edwardsville
Employee Type: Full-time Pay Type: Salaried
Fiscal Classification: Library Professional Salary Grade: 11
Summary: The SHARE Director is responsible for coordinating the SHARE department and providing quality service to member libraries. This position works collaboratively and continually confers with SHARE Managers in the administration of the automation program. Maintains excellent communication with SHARE member leaders through the SHARE Executive Council. Proffers advice, offers demonstrations, and provides information on best practices in delivering integrated library services and encouraging new memberships.
The Director is part of the Executive Team which participates in establishing strategic directions as well as goals and objectives for IHLS.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Directs SHARE managers and oversees SHARE department.
- Develop and monitor processes to ensure accurate statistical and empirical data.
- Oversee the development and monitoring of budgets for grant funded programs and projects.
- Review financial information, activity reports, and other performance data to measure productivity and goal achievement and to determine areas needing cost reduction and/or program improvement.
- Provide continuing information to the SHARE Executive Council, acting as liaison between Users Group and IHLS to ensure a high level of service and support for the SHARE membership.
- Interpret SHARE membership needs and recommend policy and policy changes related to best operational functionality of SHARE.
- Market SHARE and the services it offers to potential members; provide cost and other information to libraries interested in joining SHARE.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate SHARE Managers
- Seek out, apply for and administer grants that benefit SHARE members.
- Assist the SHARE Managers to develop budget, strategic plans, and reports related to SHARE
- Assist the SHARE Managers in working with the SHARE vendor and others to restore service when ILS, (integrated library system) SHARE is down.
Supervised by: Executive Director
Supervises: SHARE Managers, Catalogers, Cataloging Assistants
Working Conditions: Work is usually performed in an office environment. This position may need to be available for access 24-hours a day, seven days a week. Some evening and weekend work will be required, with occasional overnight travel.
Telecommuting: This position allows for occasional and regular telecommuting.
- Primarily sedentary work, but also requires standing, walking, stooping or crouching, kneeling, crawling, reaching, pushing, grasping, lifting, feeling, hearing and talking.
- Requires the ability to exert up to 20 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
- Clarity of vision at 20 inches or less with the ability to adjust the eye to bring objects into sharp focus, clarity of vision at 20 or more feet, and the ability to distinguish colors.
- Ability to effectively use a computer.
This job description is not intended to imply that the duties identified above are the only duties to be performed by employee(s) in this position. Employees may be required to perform other job duties as requested, subject to applicable state and federal laws. This job description or certain job functions described herein may be subject to modification in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- MLS and 3 years of library administrative experience or equivalent work experience 2:1 or 12 years
- Five (5) years experience working with library automation programs.
Licenses or Certifications Required: Valid driver's license or ability to travel.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Good knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, budgeting, human resources management, leadership techniques and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Ability to monitor and assess performance of self, other individuals, and working teams to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Good knowledge of grant and proposal writing.
- Experience negotiating and administering vendor contracts.
- Extensive knowledge of integrated library systems.
- Broad knowledge of trends in library philosophy and library databases.
- Good knowledge of consensus building and group decision making.
- Ability to analyze internal processes and recommend and implement procedural changes to improve operations.
- Ability to work in an organization that embraces customer service.
- Ability to use a computer and Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Ability to consider the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Good oral and written communications skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, government representatives, potential funders, vendors, and member libraries.
- Ability to be flexible, to use time wisely and to perform duties in a professional manner.
- Willingness to help others accomplish their objectives.
- Ability to demonstrate a positive attitude towards co-workers, member libraries and job duties.
- Ability to travel as required.
Illinois Heartland Library System
6725 Goshen Road
Edwardsville, IL 62025
How to apply
Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.