- Advocacy Policies and Procedures
- Census 2020 Resources
- Creating or Changing Illinois State Library Law
- Illinois Minimum Wage Resources
- Intro to Property Taxes for IL Libraries
- ILA Public Policy Principles
- Legislative Issues
- Making Your Case
- Ready, Set, Advocate
- TIFs and Public Library Districts in Illinois
- Top Ten Advocacy Tips
- Advocacy Committee
- Awards Committee
- Conference Program Committee, 2023
- Conference Program Committee, 2024
- Diversity Committee
- Finance Committee
- Fundraising Committee
- ILA Reporter Advisory Committee
- Intellectual Freedom Committee
- iREAD Committee
- Nominating Committee
- Public Policy Committee
- Reaching Forward North Committee
- Serving Our Public Committee
- Events Registration Process
- Statement of Appropriate Conduct
- Annual Conference
- Kickstart OER with Grant Funding, aka "So, I've been named Project Director/Manager...What Does That Mean?"
- Connecting with Kaetrena Davis Kendrick: Clarifying Low Morale in Libraries
- ILA Marketing Forum 2024 Mini-Marketing Conference Call for Proposals
- ILA Noon Network
- Directors University 2.0
- Library Trustee Forum Spring Workshops
- Reaching Forward North Conference
- Reaching Forward South Conference
- Webinar Archive
- Human Resources & Administration Forum (HRAF)
- Illinois Association of College & Research Libraries Forum (IACRL)
- Library Trustee Forum (LTF)
- Marketing Forum (MF)
- Resources & Technical Services Forum (RTSF)
- Small and Rural Libraries Forum (SARL)
- Students and New Professionals Forum (SANP)
- Young Adult Services Forum (YASF)
- Youth Services Forum (YSF)
RTSF Member Spotlight - Joy AnhaltMay 30, 2023
This week's member spotlight is on Joy Anhalt. Joy has served on the 2018 and 2019 ILA Conference Program Committees and is the current manager of the ILA Resources and Technical Services Forum (RTSF). We asked Joy to tell us a little about herself and answer a few professional and amusing questions. Continue reading to find out more about Joy.
A little background on Joy
Joy Anhalt has been the Technical Services Manager at the Tinley Park Public Library since 1992. Joy received her MLIS from Rosary College, River Forest, Illinois. She has served as the LACONI Technical Services Section president, the ILA Resources & Technical Services Forum manager, several SWAN committees, SirsiDynix Library Users of Illinois (SLUI), and presented programs at the ILA Annual Conference and for the LACONI Technical Services Section.
How did you get your start in libraries?
I remember visiting the library with my father and heavily using the local library when I was young. When I entered high school I volunteered and was a member of the library club at my first high school. At my second high school, I was the only student volunteer. I was lucky and was able to get a job at the local library and I recall thinking that I’d like to work in a library.
Best advice you've received since starting your career in libraries?
Learning one new thing at a workshop or conference makes it worthwhile.
Any advice to newcomers working in libraries?
Ask questions. Participate in committees. Colleagues are a wonderful resource for learning and affirming that you are on the right track.
When and why did you become a member of ILA?
I discovered RTSF and began attending the meetings and programs. I began presenting programs and have been a recurring Manager.
How has being a member of ILA helped you professionally?
Being a member of the Resources and Technical Services Forum and serving on the 2019 Conference Planning Committee has provided networking and learning opportunities that have helped me in my day-to-day work life.
What is your proudest professional achievement to date?
Surviving being the past, current and future RTSF manager. Being the recipient of the 2008 TBS, Inc. Resources and Technical Services Award.
Hardcover, paperback, e-reader, audiobook, or all?
Paperback or hardcover is preferred. Although I do like my e-reader when I’m walking on the treadmill.
It depends on my mood. My favorites are Christine Feehan, Joanne Fluke, Lori Foster, Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle/Amanda Quick, Nora Roberts/JD Robb, and Nalini Singh.
If you were stuck on a deserted island, what five books would you bring with you to pass the time until being rescued?
Dark Celebration by Christine Feehan; Allegiance of honor by Nalini Singh; Worst-case scenario survival handbook; and some other really thick books.
Cat or Dog?
I like both, however, I’m too allergic to share my space with either one. When I feel the need I visit my friend who has a dog and several cats.
Favorite film, podcast, or television show?
Stargate SG-1, Star Wars, American Pickers, MacGyver (Richard Dean Anderson and the reboot with Lucas Till).
One person you would like to meet, dead or alive why?
Maybe an ancestor on my mother’s side. She was adopted and did not pursue discovering her biological family.