Head of Access Services | Northern Illinois University/University Libraries
Posted on Sep 15, 2023
The User Services Department is one of four departments / areas within the Division of Public Services. This position reports to the Associate Dean for Public Services, and supervises 2 Library Operations Associates: the Access Services Manager and Information Delivery Services (IDS) Manager. Up to 9 full-time staff and up to 15 students work across all areas of User Services.
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Manages, supervises, assesses, and reports on the User Services Department, including circulation, electronic and print reserves, information delivery services (interlibrary loan/resource sharing and document delivery/mailroom), stacks maintenance, and billing. Assumes overall responsibility for hiring, training, supervising, developing, and evaluating department staff. Directs the department’s provision of services, programmatic planning, policies and procedures, scheduling, maintenance of departmental statistics and records, resource management, and reports. Communicates with library stakeholders regarding departmental policies and procedures and resolves customer service issues. Completes special projects as assigned and assigns special projects to departmental staff as needed. Represents Users Services at Management Team meetings. Works within a highly consultative and collegial environment.
DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION, TOOLS, AND SERVICES
- Leads by example and plays a key role in maintaining excellent patron service, including covering service points and performing daily operational tasks within units as needed.
- Serves as an Alma Fulfillment administrator.
- Gathers, analyzes, interprets, and reports statistical and qualitative information about departmental services.
- Serves as a key contact to other units within the library, on campus, and to CARLI, OCLC, and other institutions/agencies on all matters related to the primary functions of the department.
- Has or acquires working knowledge of resources used in the department including the ILS, interlibrary loan management / document delivery systems, consortially-used systems, library catalogs, databases, library electronic resources, and Internet resources. In collaboration with key staff, may instruct internal or external stakeholders on the use of such resources.
- Has or acquires familiarity with copyright issues in academic libraries in relation to interlibrary loan and e-Reserves.
- Serves as the key liaison and facilitates communication between the User Services department and other departments within the Libraries, as well as with NIU’s patron community. Handles faculty patrons’ User Services-related concerns, problems, and correspondence.
- Communicates with all patrons regarding the approval of replacement books. Authorizes appropriate replacement items and facilitates replacement process.
PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION
- Establishes departmental and supervisees’ goals, objectives, and key performance indicators.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean and key staff, writes, reviews, interprets, and/or updates policies and procedures for all units of the department (Billing, Circulation, IDS/Mailroom, Reserves, and Stacks Maintenance) as necessary. Promotes patron satisfaction through communication and education about departmental policies, procedures, and services.
- Hires, trains, and supervises 2 FTE employees including interviewing, hiring, time reporting, performance evaluations, training, and daily work operations.
- Proposes, monitors, and manages the department’s student employee budget in collaboration with the Associate Dean and LOAs.
- Promotes staff development.
PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
- Assumes other duties, participates in special projects, and serves on committees in the library and across the university as needed or assigned.
Classification and Salary
This is a full-time professional staff position at 37.5 hours per week for 12 months per year. The selected candidate is eligible for a full benefits package as an employee of Northern Illinois University. The position is governed by NIU’s Founders Memorial Library administrative policies and requirements set forth by the Illinois State Universities Civil Service System. Salary is based on the Program Coordinator classification, with a starting range of $55,000 - $60,000 annually, based on qualifications and experience. Successful candidates must be willing and able to work regularly scheduled shifts onsite during Founders Memorial Library’s standard hours of operation: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Remote work instances may be accommodated as needed.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited school of library and information science
- At least two years of recent experience working in a library Access Services unit, including familiarity with integrated library systems (ILS)
- Supervisory experience
- Excellent English language skills and ability to communicate effectively in-person, virtually, and in writing
- Multitasks and works independently and collaboratively to meet deadlines
- Able to perform basic physical tasks (sitting, standing, typing, lifting, etc.) with or without accommodation
- Strong commitment to providing outstanding customer service and research support
- Experience with the ExLibris Alma integrated library system (ILS)
- Substantial and recent Access Services work in a higher education setting
$55,009.44 - $60,000.00
Northern Illinois University
University Libraries/Founders Memorial Library
DeKalb, IL 60115
How to apply
To Apply: Interested candidates should submit their application through the NIU Employment website. Please include a cover letter, resume or curriculum vitae, and contact information for three professional references.
For complete instructions, please visit: https://employment.niu.edu/postings/73863