Assistant Branch Manager | St. Charles City-County Library
Posted on Mar 10, 2023
Assistant Branch Manager
Middendorf-Kredell Branch, O’Fallon, MO
We are seeking applicants for an Assistant Branch Manager at the Middendorf-Kredell Branch, one of our busiest branches. The Assistant Branch Manager works closely with the Branch Manager to oversee daily operations and provide an excellent customer experience. This is achieved by training staff on aspects of quality service and resolving customer service issues, by implementing programs and services for customers both inside and outside the branch, ensuring the collection is current and attractive, and by working with staff at our service desks.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time efficiently and meet deadlines
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships at all levels of the Library and with the general public
- Ability to lead change with a positive attitude
- Must possess initiative, good judgement, sound critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Prior customer service experience is required
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program is required
- Directly related public library experience is preferred
Schedule: Monday 8:30am-5:00pm, Tuesday 1:00pm-9:00pm, Wednesday through Friday 8:30am-5:00pm. Saturday and Sunday shifts as assigned.
We offer a full benefit package which includes medical, vision and dental and life insurance, retirement plan, deferred compensation (457) plan, FSA and generous time off. Starting salary is $56,404.
Our branches serve all residents of St. Charles County by providing a robust collection of materials, many classes and events, and superior customer experiences! Every day we get to live our mission: to inspire, to inform, and to enhance connections across St. Charles County. The future looks bright - join us!
The St. Charles City-County Library is committed to diversity and inclusion. The Library provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military status.
Please see the following job description for more information.
Description Number: 210
Position Title: Assistant Branch Manager
Salary Grade: 21
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Branch Manager
Revision Date: 12.11.2018
Assist the Branch Manager in the management of the daily operations of a Branch Library within the policies and procedures set by the Library. In the absence of the Branch Manager, the Assistant Branch Manager assumes the responsibility for managing the branch and providing an excellent customer experience. Position performs professional duties requiring the exercise of professional skill, initiative, and independent judgment.
- Assist in the daily operations and management of the branch.
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures both within the branch and district-wide.
- Coordinate and implement programs and services for customers both inside and outside the branch.
- Interpret and implement policies and procedures for customers.
- Provide staff training on aspects of quality service and resolve customer service issues.
- Participate in the development and monitoring of the branch budget.
- Work at service desks, as scheduling requires.
Management of Staff:
- Interview, hire, and evaluate branch staff.
- Work with the Branch Manager to address employee relations matters and manage corrective counseling.
- Manage time and attendance of staff at the branch.
- Assist with the development and maintenance of the branch collections.
- Work closely with Branch Manager to ensure the collection is current and attractive.
Coordinate the marketing and promotion of library materials.
- Work collaboratively with all levels of Library staff.
- Communicate effectively.
- Actively monitor library trends.
- Participate in professional development and continuing education activities.
- Serve on district-wide committees, task forces, and groups.
- Participate in local, state and national professional organizations.
- Participate in community events or service clubs as directed by the Branch Manager.
- Carry out duties in accordance with the District’s Code of Ethics.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time effectively, work independently, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, peers, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to comprehend, follow, and implement the Library’s policies and procedures.
- Ability to lead change with a positive attitude.
- Ability to communicate professionally and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Must possess initiative, good judgment, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of emerging trends, technologies, and best practices in public library services.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of supervising and managing personnel and the ability to utilize that knowledge in performing the job well.
- Must have a passion for serving the public and the knowledge and ability to provide an excellent customer experience.
Essential Physical Abilities - Accomplished with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to communication well with staff and customers.
- Sufficient vision to review a wide variety of materials, written correspondence, reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient personal mobility to attend meetings at various locations within the Library.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program
- Customer Service experience required
- Directly related public library experience preferred
The job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employees may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the Library.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, use time efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships at all levels of the Library and with the general public.
- Ability to lead change with a positive attitude.
- Must possess initiative, good judgement, sound critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Prior customer service experience is required.
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program is required.
- Directly related public library experience is preferred.
$56,404 annual salary
St. Charles City-County Library
2750 Hwy K
O'Fallon, MO 63368
How to apply
For immediate consideration, submit a cover letter and resume along with completed SCCCL Application by priority deadline of Monday, March 20, 2023.
Application materials can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mailed to
Human Resources Department.
P.O. Box 529
St. Peters, MO 63376.
Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
We appreciate your interest in the Library, but due to the high volume of responses, we may only be able to contact those applicants that we wish to interview.