Associate Professor/Head of Technical Services | The University of Southern Mississippi/University Libraries
Posted on Oct 9, 2020
The University of Southern Mississippi invites applicants for a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track faculty position as Associate Professor/Head of Technical Services, in the University Libraries to begin in the spring 2021.
Under the general supervision of the Dean of University Libraries, the incumbent has leadership responsibility for the supervision and administration of technical services, which includes acquisitions, cataloging, serials and electronic resources, gifts management, and processing and preservation, while holding tenure or tenure-track faculty status and rank.
University Libraries at Southern Miss
University Libraries provides a dynamic physical and virtual learning environment that supports the intellectual development and creativity of the University community. Joseph Anderson Cook Library, William David McCain Library and Archives, the Gulf Coast Library, and the Gunter Library at the Gulf Coast Research Laboratory offer services that meet information needs and support the research, teaching, learning and service of the University’s faculty, staff and students. An extensive website provides access to the Libraries’ holdings, including full-text and article databases, electric journals and books, and digitized collections and services, such as reference and research assistance, tutorials and document delivery.
University Libraries at the University of Southern Mississippi expends a $2 million-dollar budget for materials annually. The collection contains 1.8 million volumes plus special and archival collections in a wide range of formats, housed on the Hattiesburg and Gulf Coast campuses.
For more information about University Libraries, go to http://lib.usm.edu.
About The University of Southern Mississippi The University of Southern Mississippi (USM) is a comprehensive public research institution delivering transformative programs on campuses in Hattiesburg and Long Beach, at teaching and research sites in central and southern Mississippi, as well as online. Founded in 1910, USM is one of only 130 universities in the nation to earn the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education's "R1: Doctoral Universities - Very high research activity" designation, and its robust research enterprise includes experts in ocean science and engineering, polymer science and engineering, and sport venue safety and security, among others. USM is also one of only 40 institutions in the nation accredited in theatre, art and design, dance and music. As an economic driver, USM generates an annual economic impact of more than $600 million across the state. USM welcomes a diverse student body of approximately 15,000, representing 71 countries, all 50 states, and every county in Mississippi. USM students have collected four Truman Scholarships and 36 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowships, while also leading Mississippi with 24 Goldwater Scholarships, an honor that recognizes the next generation of great research scientists. Home to the Golden Eagles, USM competes in 17 Division I sports sponsored by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). For more information, visit www.usm.edu.
Home to The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg blends a college town atmosphere with an upscale entertainment district downtown and numerous outdoor opportunities. This diverse community offers a unique cultural and intellectual atmosphere, with many opportunities to engage in stimulating activities and events, including college sports, the performing arts, and cultural resources. Dining opportunities abound, particularly local flavors such as New Orleans-style seafood, fried catfish and barbecue.
The city has been recognized by numerous publication and rankings as a retirement destination because of the area’s amenities, low cost of living, and strong healthcare services. Did we mention that the beach is an hour away, and New Orleans and Mobile are each just over 90 minutes from Hattiesburg? There are also five airports and an Amtrak station nearby that make travel easy. To learn more about what Hattiesburg has to offer, go to https://www.visithburg.org.
If you have any questions about the position, Southern Miss, or Hattiesburg, please contact Lorraine Stuart, search committee chair, at Lorraine.Stuart@usm.edu.
- Graduate degree in library science from an ALA-accredited program, or equivalent advanced degree and experience.
- Demonstrated experience for at least five years in an area within technical services (acquisitions, cataloging, electronic resources)
- Demonstrated supervisory experience for at least five years.
- Demonstrated scholarship, professional development, and service record for appointment of Associate Professor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging cataloging standards, authorities and thesauri including MARC and BIBFRAME, LC authorities and RDF, and RDA. Knowledge of the Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records (FRBR) conceptual model and its relationship to Linked Data environment and the semantic web.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of collection management; knowledge of current collection development issues and trends at academic and research libraries, including an understanding of emerging information technology and its applications for collection development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of acquisitions procedures.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership qualities including strong interpersonal and public communication skills.
- Proficiencies and knowledge in library and information technologies related to technical services.
- Experience with library services platforms, such as Ex Libris Alma.
- Demonstrated cataloging experience.
- Demonstrated successful budget management experience.
$68,000 - $78,000 and commensurate with the candidate's education and experience
The University of Southern Mississippi/University Libraries
118 College Drive #5053
Hattiesburg, MS 39406
How to apply
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin Monday, November 9, 2020, and will continue until the position is filled. A completed application will include a cover letter describing applicant strengths and qualifications for the position, curriculum vitae, academic transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable; official transcripts are necessary for hire), and contact information for three professional references. Application material can be uploaded here: https://usm.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=1563&site=1
As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer/Americans with Disabilities Act institution, The University of Southern Mississippi encourages minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities to apply.