Library Director | South Holland Public Library
Posted on May 19, 2020
South Holland Public Library has an enthusiastic public, a supportive Library Board and a dedicated staff that works hard to create and market our individualized services. In FY2018-19, this vibrant library had 162,714 visits, 37,905 questions were answered and 15,791 people attended programs.
South Holland, with a population of 22,030, is a suburb on the Southside of the Chicago area close to all the city has to offer. It is a community of single-family homes and the median household income is $62,951 with 12.2% at the poverty level. The racial breakdown in this friendly and diverse community is 81% African American, 13% Caucasian, and 5% Hispanic heritage. The community has two main elementary school districts, one high school district, many private schools, and South Suburban College.
The Board of Trustees of the South Holland Public Library (Illinois) seeks an innovative and community-focused leader to serve as Library Director and foster excellence in public service. The ideal candidate will have experience working and communicating effectively in a culturally diverse community and will have extensive knowledge of library financial and legal practices. Applicants must be able to manage a facility, supervise all levels of library employees, market the library and establish and maintain effective working relationships with elected officials, advisory boards, village administration, community groups and citizens. The successful candidate will manage a $2.4 million budget and direct a broad range of library functions with the assistance of a hardworking and creative staff of 34 (26.24 FTE).
- Provides leadership in the library.
- Initiates, plans, supervises and evaluates operations, activities and services of the library.
- Advocates for the library by serving as the official representative of the library.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with library users, other governmental agencies, civic and community groups and the general public.
- Develops staff job descriptions, recommends and administers personnel policies involving hiring, evaluating, promoting and terminating staff.
- Directly supervises the Management Team; indirectly supervises all library employees.
- Attends Library Board meetings and committee meetings and serves as a resource for the Library Board.
- Develops and submits an annual budget and monthly financial reports to the Library Board.
- Develops and submits monthly and annual service reports to the Library Board.
- Formulates and recommends policies to the Library Board and implements Board-adopted policies and library procedures.
- Develops and administers strategic, capital, disaster and building plans for the library.
- Develops and oversees grant proposals and submissions.
- Attends library and professional meetings and participates in regional and statewide professional activities.
- Knowledge of library philosophies, practices, procedures and technologies.
- Ability to set priorities, make decisions, and exercise discretion with users and staff members.
- Ability to prioritize work, meet established deadlines, delegate duties and attend to details as appropriate.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with staff members, government officials, community leaders, users, and the media.
- Ability to hire, train, supervise, discipline and evaluate staff members at all levels of experience.
- Knowledge of library budgetary and fiscal practices; library law; Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Open Meetings Act (OMA) regulations; and state library standards.
- Knowledge of computers and the Internet, especially integrated library systems software, Microsoft Office products and other relevant software programs.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, and to prepare and present reports and other information in the appropriate format.
- Ability to work the hours needed to complete the responsibilities of the Library Director.
- MLS from an ALA accredited program.
- Five (5) years library supervisory experience or two (2) years public library director or assistant library director experience.
- Reads, understands, writes legibly and speaks articulately in English.
- Position requires day, evening and weekend hours.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License, proof of insurance and a vehicle to be used for Library business.
Starting salary is $85,000 DOQ.
South Holland Public Library
16250 Wausau Avenue
South Holland, IL 60473
How to apply
Apply via email only with a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Vanessa Bradley, Library Board President, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is Wednesday, June 17, 2020, at 5 p.m. CDT.
Applicants for all positions are subject to a background check and drug test. The South Holland Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.