Executive Director | Mississippi Valley Library District
Posted on Nov 30, 2018
The Board of Trustees of the Mississippi Valley Library District (MVLD) in Collinsville, Illinois is seeking a dynamic leader to serve as a full-time Executive Director. Located 15 miles east of St. Louis, this is an outstanding opportunity to lead a forward-moving library that embraces the communities it serves.
ABOUT THE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY LIBRARY DISTRICT: The Mississippi Valley Library District is an independent library district serving more than 35,000 residents in the City of Collinsville, Fairmont City, and surrounding areas with a budget of approximately $1.2 million. The library is renowned for its excellent staff, board of trustees and supportive community. The Mission Statement of the MVLD is to provide materials and services to meet the personal, intellectual, educational and recreational needs and interests of the members of the community. In order to fulfill this purpose, the Library will assemble, organize, preserve and make easily and readily accessible to all people a variety of materials. The Library functions as a center for community activities, meetings and programs which provides the opportunity for members of the community to experience personal enrichment and furtherance of knowledge.
▪ Organizes and directs the services of the MVLD; creates operating procedures and administrative system; develops library policies for recommendation to the Board of Trustees in cooperation with the Center Managers
▪ Use of QuickBooks to prepare the budget for presentation to the Board; controls and monitors departmental expenditures and revenues; prepares payroll and weekly receipts
▪ Oversees automation services; supervises technical operations including acquisitions, processing and cataloging in cooperation with the Center Managers
▪ Provides advice and technical assistance to the Library Board of Trustees
▪ Determines the future and present needs of the MVLD, its facilities, collections and programs; prepares short term and long-term plans to meet these needs
▪ Formulates and directs collection management policies in cooperation with the Center Managers on the selection of library materials for the collection that remain consistent with the Materials Selection Policy
▪ Provides information and responds to requests for information from outside the MVLD; prepares reports and other necessary statistical information
▪ Develops and maintains cooperative working relationships with other governmental agencies, public agencies and service organizations
▪ Prepares federal, state and foundation grant applications and completes the required Annual Report for the State of Illinois and all other necessary certifications and ordinances as required by law
▪ Promotes the library and its services through speaking engagements and other community contacts
▪ Arranges all meetings of the Board of Trustees and performs other duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees
▪ Overseeing fundraising activities and coordinating with the Friends of the Library
▪ Serving as FOIA officer and IMRF representative
▪ Other duties as assigned
ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) or a related field preferred, or a Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with significant management and public library experience. Requires five to ten years of progressively responsible experience in library services with three years supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
Negotiable based on experience. Competitive benefits (IMRF, health, dental, sick leave and vacation time)
Mississippi Valley Library District
408 W. Main
Collinsville, IL 62234
How to apply
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, current resume and three professional references to Amanda Hausman (MVLD Trustee and Search Committee Chair) by emailing email@example.com.
Please submit resumes by Friday, January 4th, 2019. Any resumes received after this date may not be reviewed.