Bylaws of the Illinois Library Trustee Forum
The name of this organization shall be the Illinois Library AssociationTrustee Forum (the ‘Forum’), a part of the Illinois Library Association (ILA).
Section 1. The Illinois Library Trustee Forum supports the provision of library services for all of the people of Illinois.
Section 2. The Illinois Library Trustee Forum has specific responsibility for:
- Educational programs to enable library trustees to be effective on behalf of the libraries they represent.
- Activities and programs benefitting library trustees and libraries carrying out the purposes of the Forum.
- Promote the development of library trustees and encourage participation by trustees in the Forum and in the Illinois Library Association.
- Representation of the concerns and interests of library trustees within and outside the library profession.
- Support of legislative advocacy programs at local, state, and national levels.
- Interaction with and support of library activities at regional and national levels when appropriate.
Section 1. Members of the Illinois Library Association Trustee Forum shall be trustees who are personal or institutional members of the Illinois Library Association, who subscribe to the purposes of this Forum.
Section 2. The fiscal year of this Forum, to coincide with the ILA, shall be from July 1 to June 30.
Article IV—Officers, Duties, Vacancies
Section 1. Officers: Officers of the Forum shall be president, vice president/president-elect, secretary, and immediate past president, who shall constitute the executive committee of the Forum.
Section 2. Eligibility: All officers of the Illinois Library Trustee Forum shall be personal members of the Illinois Library Association and shall currently be a trustee on the board of a public library or a trustee on the board of a library system.
Section 3. Election and Terms: Officers of the Forum shall be elected to a one year term. No officer shall serve more than two consecutive terms in one office, except by vote of the simple majority of the board.
Section 4. Duties: The officers of the Forum shall perform the duties usually attached to their positions and such other duties as may be assigned or specified in the by-laws.
- President: The President shall appoint all standing and special committees, except as provided herein for the Nominating Committee. The President shall be an ex offico member of all committees. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum and all membership meetings. The President shall present an annual report of the activities of the Forum at the annual business meeting. The President shall complete the ILA Forum and Committee Report and submit copies to the ILA Executive Board Liaison to the Trustee Forum and to the appropriate ILA staff member(s) two weeks before each ILA Executive Board meeting. The President shall have such usual powers of supervision and administration as may pertain to the office of President and perform such other duties as may be designated by the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum or the membership.
- Vice President. The Vice President/President-Elect shall perform the duties of the President in the President’s absence, upon the inability of the President to perform, and shall succeed to the office of the President. The Vice President/President-Elect shall perform such other duties as may be assigned, and shall serve as chairman of the program committee.
- Secretary: The Secretary shall keep a record of the proceedings of the annual business meetings and of the meetings of the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum, and shall perform such other duties as may be assigned by the President.
Section 5. Vacancies:
- In the event of the inability of the President to serve, the Vice President/President Elect shall become President and shall serve the remainder of the term.
- In the event the Vice President/President-Elect is unable to serve, the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum shall appoint one of its qualified members to serve until the next election.
Article V—Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum
Section 1: Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum: The Executive Board of the of the ILA Trustee Forum shall consist of a minimum of seven (7) Executive Board members, including the Forum’s officers and the immediate past-president, with a maximum of fifteen (15) members. Membership on the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum shall be limited to one trustee from any Illinois library.
Section 2: Terms of Office: Terms of office of the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum shall be two years, with eligibility for reappointment. When a director is unable to serve, the President shall appoint a replacement to serve to the end of the term subject to the approval of the Executive Board.
Section 3: Conducting Business: The Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum shall conduct all business pertaining to the Forum and shall have the authority to make decisions for the Forum during the period between business meetings. A simple majority of the elected members of the Board shall constitute a quorum for taking action.
Article VI—Nominations and Elections
Section 1: Nominations: The Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum shall serve as a nominating committee of the whole, and present a slate of candidates at the annual business meeting. Additional nominations may be made from the floor by members of the Forum at the annual business meeting. The vote on these nominations shall take place at that meeting.
Section 2: Notification to members may be by publication in the ILA Reporter, ILA E-News, ILA Trustee newsletter, or e-mail.
Section 1: Authorization: Standing and special committees may be authorized by the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum and may be discontinued in the same manner. Special committees may be authorized by the President with the approval of the Board. Duties of each committee shall be determined and recorded by the Board.
Section 2: Appointments: Members of the standing committees shall be appointed by the President for staggered terms not to exceed two years and are eligible for reappointment. Committee chairs are named by the President for a one-year term and may be reappointed. Members of the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum shall be a chair of or serve as a member of a committee, and the President shall consider the recommendations of the Board in making appointments.
Section 1: Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum: The Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum shall hold a minimum of two meetings yearly. The new Board shall hold its organization meeting at the time of the annual meeting or as soon thereafter as possible. It is the intent of these by-laws that the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum meet as frequently as necessary.
Section 2: Membership: The annual membership meeting shall be held at the time and place of the ILA Annual Conference.
Section 1: These by-laws may be amended by a simple majority vote of the members participating in the voting to amend. The vote may be taken either at the membership meeting of the Forum.
Section 2: Before any proposed amendment may be submitted to a vote, it must have the written recommendation of the by-laws committee and the approval of the Executive Board of the ILA Trustee Forum. Notice of the proposed change must be given to the membership not less than one month before such vote. Said notice may be given by publication in the ILA Reporter, ILA E-News, ILA Trustee newsletter, or e-mail.
Article X—Rules of Order The rules contained in the latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern the Forum in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with the by-laws of the Illinois Library Association Trustee Forum.
Revised: October 24, 2019
Effective date: October 24, 2019