Registration Open for 2017 Lake Superior Libraries SymposiumApril 30, 2017
(via Kim Pittman, University of Minnesota Duluth)
Registration for the Sixth Annual Lake Superior Libraries Symposium is now open. SLS17: “Beyond Neutral” will be held on Friday, June 9, at the University of Minnesota Duluth. The Lake Superior Libraries Symposium is a conference developed by library staff members from Northwestern Wisconsin and Northeastern Minnesota. The Symposium was created to promote resource sharing and communication between organizations and to help librarians develop enhanced professional networks. Library staff, administrators, trustees, and students from the Upper Midwest and beyond are invited to attend and participate.
Register by Tuesday, May 30, to ensure that any dietary requests for meals can be accommodated. The cost is $55 and covers the following events and activities.
- keynote by Dr. Loriene Roy, Professor in the School of Information at the University of Texas at Austin, 2007-2008 President of the American Library Association, and recipient of the 2015 Distinguished Service Award from the American Indian Library Association
- 16 inspiring presentations that will challenge participants to examine their professional values and rethink the conception of libraries as neutral spaces
- a pre-conference workshop on libraries serving Native communities, led by Dr. Loriene Roy, that will take place on Thursday, June 8, from 1:00 to 4:00 PM
- a Thursday evening pre-conference pub trivia night at Blacklist Artisan Ales Taproom
- a Friday evening post-conference social event hosted by Northern Waters Restaurant
Students currently enrolled in a library science program are encouraged to apply for a scholarship to attend the 2017 Lake Superior Libraries Symposium. The scholarship will cover conference registration ($55).
Our conference is located in beautiful Duluth, the gateway to the North Shore of Lake Superior. The region features world-class breweries, restaurants, and outdoor activities. Our conference website lists several options for accommodations in Duluth.
If you have questions about the Symposium, please contact the conference planners here.