Circulation Assistant | Highwood Public Library
Posted on Nov 9, 2023
- Provides prompt, courteous, and direct assistance to all patrons with basic information regarding use of library materials, equipment, and services.
- Perform various circulation functions including reference, readers' advisory, technology, referral services to patrons, check-ins, check-outs, renewals, holds, accessing on-line resources, etc. Assists patrons with library computers, copier and scanner.
- Primarily works at the Adult Services’ service desk, may work at service desks in Youth and Teen areas when needed.
- Contributes to the general order and care of facilities and Library materials.
- Registers, renews and updates patron accounts.
- Processing of materials.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This position reports to the Adult Services Manager.
Personal qualities and qualifications include:
- Bilingual (Spanish) strongly preferred.
- Minimum Qualifications: High School Diploma/GED required.
- Flexibility in dealing with patrons and staff
- Familiarity with a variety of types of materials
- Availability on Saturdays and evenings (a must).
- Ability to work closely with other staff in a positive team environment.
- Ability to welcome all library users with a friendly and courteous approach.
- Dependability, punctuality, honesty, and trustworthiness.
- A willingness to help out in special situations and cooperate as a team member to achieve efficient library operations.
- Ability to work well with adults, teens and children and collaborate with staff members.
- Experience working with the public desirable, preferably in a library environment.
- Typical office skills such as conducting Internet searches, working with computer systems, answering phones.
Reasonable accommodations maybe made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Constant standing and walking.
- Lifting up to 30 pounds, bending, reaching, stooping, climbing, pushing and pulling in excess of 75 lbs., reaching, handling, and fine manipulation skills.
- Ability to communicate by telephone.
- Ability to handle and shelve books.
- Ability to use a keyboard.
- Vision: near and far.
- Speaking and hearing.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The library work environment is usually busy and demanding. Children’s programs are often noisy and crowded.
$16 - $18 an hour
Highwood Public Library
102 Highwood Ave.
Highwood, IL 60040
How to apply
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Alex Brotsos at email@example.com.