Deputy Director | Indian Prairie Library
Posted on Sep 20, 2022
Join our innovative, community-focused library. We provide a dynamic, engaging team environment, valuing staff members’ initiative and contributions. Exceptional service is our passion and we are committed to making everyone’s library experience enjoyable. Our staff take pride in our “Guest First” service philosophy. In addition, we have a unique service model designed to enhance our customer service and provide more opportunities for community engagement. Read all about our service model.
As Deputy Director you serve as second-in-command of the library, working closely with the Executive Director in leading the library and planning services. You are an essential member of the leadership team, planning for the future and facilitating collaboration and communication within the organization. You connect with our library guests, the community, and staff with your warmth, knowledge, and love of serving others. You ensure our guests and staff have a wonderful facility to enjoy and that our IT supports the library’s many technology needs.
Here are some of the traits we’re looking for in a candidate:
- You engage well with people of all ages and are passionate about providing exemplary customer service experiences.
- You easily make connections with people and seek to build relationships.
- You’re a thoughtful and collaborative team player.
- You are a leader, who effectively leads and inspires staff.
- You understand the importance of user experience and this guides your decision making.
- You have a natural affinity for and interest in technology.
- You have a strong attention to detail and accuracy is important to you.
- You love data and use it effectively to manage services.
- You show initiative and can think on your feet.
- You’re a great communicator, both verbal and written.
- You enjoy and are good at public speaking and presentations.
- You’re excited about the prospect of growing and learning in a changing environment.
- You enjoy a good laugh.
Read more about the job responsibilities and qualifications.
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school.
- Minimum of seven years progressively responsible experience in public libraries including three years as a department head.
- Proficiency in using computers and other devices plus Word, Excel, Outlook, the Internet and library catalog and software.
- Physical requirements:
- Hear, speak, and listen to individuals in person and by telephone.
- Reading materials in print and electronic format.
- Ability to use a mouse, keyboard and computer monitor.
- Ability to sit and use a computer for extended periods.
- Ability to move throughout the library to provide, explain, interpret and retrieve resources.
- Ability to safely lift library materials up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to push/pull carts with materials.
- Ability to reach, bend, kneel and crouch to retrieve and replace library materials.
$75,426 – $84,700 DOE + benefits. Benefits include IMRF pension plan, health, dental and vision insurance, life and disability insurance, eight paid holidays, 4 weeks vacation earned per year, 12 sick days earned per year, and two personal days.
Indian Prairie Library
401 Plainfield Rd
Darien, IL 60561
How to apply
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Laura Birmingham at
The subject line on the email should read “Deputy Director”. Resumes will be accepted until noon, Tuesday, October 4, 2022.