SENIOR LIBRARY APPLICATION COORDINATOR - CARLI - UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SYSTEM | CARLI - UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS SYSTEM
Posted on Jul 20, 2022
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
The System Office seeks a Senior Library Application Coordinator to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of library processes and services among the members of the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI). CARLI is a consortium of over 120 libraries in Illinois that collectively provide information and research services to their students, faculty, and staff. This position supports the centralized library services platform, I-Share, which enables internal operations for and resource sharing among 88 CARLI member libraries, as well as other IT applications used by member libraries. This position will be mostly remote with occasional trips to the office, likely twice a year.
Additional responsibilities include
- The Senior Library Application Coordinator will lead major information technology/systems projects affecting the operations of CARLI libraries, including installation, technical support, and upgrade of state-of-the-art library systems that enable statewide sharing of library materials and electronic resources.
- Work with other CARLI staff to determine the needs of CARLI member libraries and advise senior staff at the libraries on options for implementing systems and procedures which respond to those needs.
- Manage and provide support for members' use of the OpenAthens identity service that provides single sign-on and proxy access to library resources.
- Conduct workflow analyses of CARLI and member library procedures, using both formal and informal methodologies, to increase efficiency and the harmonization between CARLI services such as Alma, Primo VE, and OpenAthens.
- Develop strategies for implementing new technologies and integrating them into CARLI and member library procedures. Analyses and proposals will be presented to member library staff and the incumbent's management by means of oral or written reports, as applicable.
- Develop strategies to support members' use of Alma Analytics to report on library activities.
- Manage CARLI's Amazon Web Services (AWS) architecture using containerized applications, orchestration (EKS/ECS), and monitoring/analytics (e.g., CloudWatch/ELK stack) to support member needs.
- Perform day-to-day operating tasks that maintain system functionality.
- Provide opportunities for member library staff to become familiar with emerging technologies and advise them on the opportunities presented by such technologies.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director, System Services.
Education and Experience:
Two years of progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession. College course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows: 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year, 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years. Demonstrated experience with library technologies.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science Information Systems, or a related field.
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited library/information science program.
- Four years' experience with library technologies.
- Demonstrated experience with library services platforms such as Ex Libris Alma and Primo VE discovery service, OpenAthens identity service, and OCLC CONTENTdm digital object management system.
- Experience with scripting using perl or python and APIs, including processing MARC records.
Knowledge, Skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of development, customization, and/or maintenance of large online application systems, preferably library services platforms.
- Knowledge of MARC, Dublin Core, and MFHD data formats.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills to operate successfully in a collaborative support team environment and to interact with staff in the CARLI member libraries.
- Familiarity with the following AWS services: EKS, ECS, EC2, EFS, AWS Backup, RDS, AWS Firewall Manager.
- Knowledge of GitHub, terraform/terragrunt, and helm applications.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after August 16, 2022. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI)
100 Trade Centre Drive
Champaign, IL 61821
How to apply
Application Procedures & Deadline Information
Applications must be received by August 16, 2022. Apply for this position here. In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, please contact Johanna Mayer at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions regarding the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
Applicants with disabilities are encouraged to apply and may request a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (2008) to complete the application and/or interview process. Requests may be submitted through the reasonable accommodations portal, or by contacting the Accessibility & Accommodations Division of the Office for Access and Equity at 217-333-0885, or by emailing email@example.com.
As a qualifying federal contractor, the University of Illinois System uses E-Verify to verify employment eligibility.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exception in accordance with applicable University processes.