Senior Library Services Coordinator | Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI)
Posted on Apr 20, 2022
The System Office seeks a Senior Library Services Coordinator to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of library processes and services among the members of the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI). CARLI is a consortium of libraries in Illinois that collectively provide information and research services to their students, faculty, and staff. This position supports the library services platform, I-Share, which enables internal operations and resource sharing among over CARLI member libraries, as well as other IT applications used by member libraries.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer that recruits and hires qualified candidates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability or veteran status. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Senior Library Services Coordinator will lead major information technology/systems projects affecting the operations of CARLI libraries, including installation, technical support, and upgrade of state-of-the-art library systems that enable statewide sharing of library materials and electronic resources.
- Work with other CARLI staff to determine the needs of CARLI member libraries and advise senior staff at the libraries on options for implementing systems and procedures which respond to those needs.
- Management and administration of members' use of the OpenAthens identity service.
- Conduct analyses of the workflow in member libraries using both formal and informal methodologies, especially around the harmonization of CARLI services such as Alma, Primo VE, and OpenAthens.
- Develop strategies for implementing new technologies and integrating them into office procedures. Analyses and proposals will be presented to library staff and the incumbent's management by means of oral or written reports, as applicable.
- Develop strategies to support members' use of Alma Analytics.
- Perform day-to-day operating tasks that maintain system functionality.
- Provide opportunities for library staff to become familiar with emerging technologies and advise them on the opportunities presented by such technologies.
- Management of Amazon Web Services (AWS) architecture with a focus on containerized applications, orchestration (EKS/ECS), monitoring/analytics (e.g., CloudWatch/ELK stack) to support member needs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director, System Services.
Two years of progressively more responsible work experience in an Information Technology (IT) related profession. College course work which included Information Technology (IT), IT Management, or a closely related discipline may be substituted as follows: 60 semester hours or Associate's Degree equals one (1) year, 90-120 semester hours or Bachelor's Degree equals two (2) years.
- Bachelor's Computer Science Information Systems, or a related field.
- Master's degree from an ALA-accredited library/information science program.
- Five years' experience with library technologies.
- Demonstrated experience with library services platforms such as Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE and discovery service, Open Athens identity service, OCLC Contend digital object management system.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of development, customization, and/or maintenance of large online applications systems, preferably library services platforms.
- Demonstrate knowledge and experience with the MARC, Dublin Core, and MFHD data formats.
- Strong interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills to operate successfully in a collaborative support team environment and to interact with staff in the CARLI member libraries.
- Knowledge of the following AWS services: EKS, ECS, EC2, EFS, AWS Backup, RDS, AWS Firewall Manager.
- Knowledge of GitHub, terraform/terragrunt, and helm applications.
- Familiarity with scripting for APIs, including processing MARC records or dividing files for members.
- Familiarity with Project Management techniques and tools.
This job is mostly hybrid with occasional travel to the office.
Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI)
100 Trade Centre Drive
Champaign, IL 61820
How to apply
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a full-time Information Technology Technical Associate position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by May 2, 2022.
Apply for this position by going to http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3) Upload the following documents:
- cover letter
- resume (months and years of employment must be included)
- academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or copy of diploma may be acceptable) for all degrees attained. Academic credentials will be verified before hire.
- names/contact information for three references
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position by going to http://jobs.illinois.edu. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Johanna Mayer at firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-3171.
University of Illinois faculty, staff and students are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are not able to receive the vaccine for medical or religious reasons, you may seek approval for an exemption in accordance with applicable University processes.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Convictions are not a bar to employment. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois System requires candidates selected for hire to disclose any documented finding of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment and to authorize inquiries to current and former employers regarding findings of sexual misconduct or sexual harassment. For more information, visit Policy on Consideration of Sexual Misconduct in Prior Employment.
The University of Illinois must also comply with applicable federal export control laws and regulations and, as such, reserves the right to employ restricted party screening procedures for applicants.
College Name or Administrative Unit: System Office Category: Technical Title: Senior Library Services Coordinator (161209) Open Date: 03/18/2022 Close Date:05/02/2022 Organization Name: CARLI