Staff Accountant | Reaching Across Illinois Library System
Posted on Jan 7, 2022
- Are you well organized and self-motivated with a strong knowledge of accounting principles and processes?
- Are you a person with unending curiosity that has mastered the fine line between being both detail oriented and consistently meeting deadlines?
- Do you have a passion for working through questions and communicating answers with a variety of stakeholders who possess varying levels of financial knowledge?
- Does it drive you to know that your work is contributing towards the ultimate benefit and education of the communities of Illinois?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, we have an opportunity that would be perfect for you!
The Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS) has an opening for a Staff Accountant beginning in mid-January 2022. The Staff Accountant will prepare all general ledger entries, account reconciliations, bank reconciliations, and financial statement reports under the direction of the Finance Manager. We are looking for a dedicated, detail-oriented, team player to provide mid-level financial statement reporting, as well as support for the annual audit and budget processes. The colleague that we are looking for is proficient in Excel, has the ability to build and maintain strong relationships and tailor financial reports and services based on needs, preferably has a strong knowledge of fund accounting, and is self-motivated.
You will be joining a team of fun, creative, and dedicated colleagues who are committed to providing the best possible service to our 1,269 libraries of all types across a 27,000 square mile area and to making RAILS the best library system in the country.
Your responsibilities will include
- Perform all general ledger entries, account reconciliations, and bank reconciliations for RAILS and contracted organizations under the direction of the Finance Manager
- Prepare daily deposits for accounting software entry
- Prepare monthly financial statements and reports for both internal and external stakeholders
- Perform financial analysis under the direction of the Finance Manager
- Support the annual audit, actuarial valuation, and budget process with documentation, schedules, and financial information
- Process and submit bi-weekly payroll in conjunction with the Human Resources Department
- Prepare schedules and reports for annual grant submissions and grant reports
- Perform board financial presentations as back-up for the Finance Manager or as needed for contracted organizations
- Maintain procedural documentation and both electronic and physical financial records
- Other duties as assigned
What you'll need
- The successful candidate must have a bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business, or related field
- Three years of accounting work experience using automated accounting systems
- Experience with Abila MIP a plus
- Knowledge of governmental fund and not-for-profit accounting a plus
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to remain calm under pressure
- Ability to multi-task while ensuring meticulous accuracy
- Detail oriented
- Dynamic – Ability to interact with and provide excellent service to both internal and external users of financial information
- Ability to maintain a productive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a positive manner with clients and colleagues while achieving performance expectations
What RAILS offers
- Competitive pay
- A generous benefits package that includes health insurance, a retirement plan, flexible spending accounts, and paid time off
- Comfortable office working environment
- Opportunities for professional development and for participation in professional organizations
RAILS is committed to fostering, cultivating, and preserving a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our human capital is the most valuable asset we have. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities, and talent is a significant part of not only our culture, but our reputation and organization's achievement as well.
We are an equal opportunity employer and make employment decisions without regard to differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make individuals unique.
How to join our team……
If you would like to support our member libraries please apply on the RAILS Job Board at: https://jobs.railslibraries.org/
Reaching Across Illinois Library System
125 Tower Drive
Burr Ridge, IL 60527
How to apply
Please submit your application on: https://jobs.railslibraries.org/