Head of Technical & Automated Services | Prospect Heights Public Library District
Posted on Nov 11, 2021
The Prospect Heights Public Library District links our community to the world of ideas. Our 26,000 square ft. newly renovated facility boasts a new, modern and inviting space with the latest technology. Since its inception, the Prospect Heights Public Library District has worked to meet the needs of the community, growing its collection to include mobile wireless hotspot devices, audiobooks, eBooks, and a wealth of resources available to the public.
- Manages the Technical & Automated Services Department. Responsible for the maintenance of Library collections and automation assets. Serves as the Library’s liaison with the contracted manager of the Local Area Network (LAN). Is a member of the Management team
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Technical Services
Reports to (Title): Director
List of direct reports if applicable (by Title):
Materials Processor (2)
Copy Cataloger/Processing Coordinator
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for hiring, training, supervising, and evaluating personnel in the department and allocating duties.
- Maintains technology/equipment inventories and plans upgrades.
- Performs troubleshooting of problems and notifies appropriate vendor. Provides assistance to Library staff in computer applications.
- Oversees all aspects of acquisition, withdrawal, processing, classification and cataloging of library materials.
- Serves as point person for digitization; coordinates and oversees digitization projects; ensures compliance with standard and best practices for digital collections
- Responsible for the accuracy of the shared bibliographic database including participation in database maintenance.
- Coordinates needed original cataloging, and cataloging in non-English languages.
- Collaborates with outsourced network management, OCLC, CCS and RAILS networking groups, other relevant groups and vendors
- Prepares statistical reports.
- Participate in department meetings, library meetings and serve on library committees as appropriate.Continue professional development by attending conferences, workshops, etc. in order to maintain current expertise in appropriate areas.
- Other duties as assigned
- MLS from accredited ALA institution school
- Two years of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, library's Integrated Library System (catalog functions) and OCLC.
- Knowledge of the technology, hardware, and software used to provide library services
- Familiarity with RDA, Library of Congress Subject Headings, Dewey Decimal Classification, MARC format and OCLC Bibliographic Standards and Formats
- Strong computer skills including Windows PC, Microsoft Office
- Experience using Microsoft SharePoint on an organizational level.
- Exceptional communication skills including the ability to tailor the delivery of technical information to all organizational levels and professional backgrounds
- Willingness to work with people of different backgrounds and different levels of understanding
- Open to ideas and encouraging to all staff, has a positive attitude
- Proactive problem solver, ability to anticipate potential problems and innovate to resolve problems
- Ability to perform tasks with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to establish priorities and organize workload
- Ability to effectively supervise and motivate staff
- Ability to approach
Prospect Heights Public Library District
12 N. Elm Street
Prospect Heights, IL 60070
How to apply
E-mail completed employment application, resume and cover letter to email@example.com