Youth Services Manager | Indian Trails Public Library District
Posted on Oct 11, 2021
The Indian Trails Public Library District (ITPLD) has an exciting opportunity for an individual with excellent leadership abilities and experience in youth services to be part of a dynamic library. This position is part of the management team in a customer focused and collaborative team environment. The ideal candidate will be diplomatic, innovative, love working with children from birth to 8th grade, exercise independent judgement, effective decision making and be committed to serving the members of our community. This position leads an enthusiastic department of 14 staff members in a vibrant youth services area with a focus on learning throughout play. The Youth Services Manager would exemplify the library's values of service, respect, trust, compassion, innovation and curiosity in order to cultivate the library's culture. This job is full-time, 37.5 hours per week.
The library has a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, mandatory IMRF participation, 457(k) retirement plan, as well as vacation and sick time. The library also supports continued learning and professional growth.
We serve 67,000 residents of the communities of Wheeling, Buffalo Grove and Prospect Heights. We are committed to our vision of embracing culture, connecting community and igniting curiosity.
Some of the job duties include:
- Provide leadership within the department as well as throughout the library as part of the management team to ensure a customer centric focus and collaborative team environment.
- Direct and manage services for children ages birth through 8th grade and their parents and guardians, including materials, programs, outreach, technology, physical space design, and daily appearance.
- Supervise assigned staff, including hiring, delegating responsibilities, evaluating, offering continuing education opportunities, rewarding innovation, recognizing outstanding work, and encouraging library-wide communication.
- Ensure that staff is trained to provide accurate, timely information using current and innovative practices and procedures and provide excellent customer service.
- Provide budgeting, evaluation, development and implementation of related services and programs with collaboration with other library departments.
- Lead the design and implementation of reading programs in coordination with other departments and staff.
- Develop youth services collections in collaboration with Materials Services staff.
- Evaluate and provide input for policies and procedures. Offer improvements, evaluate effectiveness, and scan the environment for trends and opportunities.
- Assist children and caregivers in finding information, locating materials, and recommending materials through a variety of media and inquiry sources.
- Market and promote services and materials through web, social networks, fliers, signs, newsletters, and energized staff with the collaboration of the Communications Services Manager.
- Serve as person-in-charge (PIC) as requested.
- MLS degree from an ALA accredited institution plus minimum five years progressively responsible experience, including management and supervisory experience.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and both verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, be detail-oriented, and possess time management skills.
- Knowledge and/or experience with library services, including, but not limited to reader's advisory, programs, book discussions and early literacy services.
- Ability to read computer screens, type accurately, and move about staff and public areas. Ability to push and pull carts weighing up to 40 pounds, as well as lift and sort materials of various weights up to 50 pounds.
- Must have reliable transportation to the library facilities and other locations as needed and be able to work days, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Annualized starting salary of $70,500
Indian Trails Public Library District
Wheeling, IL 60090
How to apply
Send a cover letter and resume via email to HR at email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line.
No phone calls please.