Community Engagement Librarian - PT | Indian Trails Public Library District
Posted on Sep 30, 2021
Are you innovative, collaborative and service-oriented? Do you like meeting people and building relationships? Interested in outreach and cultivating community engagement initiatives? If so, this may be the job for you.
The Indian Trails Public Library District (ITPLD) has an exciting opportunity for an individual with superb planning, communications and community relations skills to join our Adult Services team! The Community Engagement Librarian identifies, evaluates and coordinates library-wide outreach and community engagement activities, events and programs for a culturally diverse community. This job is part-time, 25 hours per week. Additionally, this position involves working with a collaborative team and staffing the service desk to assist our members.
We serve 67,000 residents in the communities of Wheeling, Buffalo Grove and Prospect Heights. We are committed to our vision of embracing culture, connecting community and igniting curiosity.
Some of the job duties include:
- Identifies, evaluates and coordinates all library-wide Outreach and Community Engagement activities, events and programs.
- Attends and assists at events and works with all departments to coordinate staff coverage for each event.
- Works in collaboration with the Communications staff to develop library talking points and training for staff who work at a community event.
- Plan and execute programs in connection to outreach or community engagement outcomes.
- Actively promote the library, its materials, and services through a variety of methods such as programs, outreach, displays, newsletter copy and handouts.
- Backup to Homebound Coordinator.
- Serve on an adult public service desk assisting library members in finding and locating information and researching a variety of topics, as well as recommending materials through a variety of sources. Additionally, assist individuals with basic technology customer service and instruction.
- Stay current with all appropriate physical and digital literature through a variety of sources.
- Maintain library collections by selecting and weeding materiel as directed.
- Generate and maintain reports and statistics.
- Masters of Library Science (MLS degree) from an accredited ALA accredited university or school or an equivalent area of study for the position such as Continuing Education, Event Planning or Community Engagement and a minimum of 1 year relevant experience required.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- The ability to communicate effectively, work independently, work with interruptions and as a team.
Hourly rate starting at $24.53 depending on qualifications. This position is eligible for pro-rated vacation and sick time and mandatory IMRF participation. The library supports continued learning and professional growth.
Indian Trails Public Library District
355 Schoenbeck Rd.
Wheeling, IL 60090
How to apply
Send a cover letter and resume via email to HR at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include the job title in the subject line.
No phone calls please.