Manager of Information Technology Services | Peoria Public Library
Posted on Jul 19, 2021
Manages and oversees the system-wide, efficient functioning of all library computer systems, external connections, network infrastructure, Wide Area Networks, phone systems, email servers, web servers, application servers, and system security; supervises information technology staff; purchases all computers, servers, network infrastructure, peripherals, printers, copiers, and any other electronic devices; performs other duties as assigned.
- Supervises IT department staff; recruits; trains; monitors workflow; reviews work; and conducts performance evaluations;
- Seeks out and implements innovative IT services that will benefit library staff and visitors;
- Prepares payroll reports;
- Provides guidance and direction to staff on department goals, standards of service and staff development; identifies and resolves personnel issues; models expected behaviors;
- Works with library leadership to set department goals and objectives; monitors progress towards them; ensures the Technical Plan is up-to-date;
- Analyzes and evaluates library technology needs; advises the Director and other library leadership on technologies and strategies that will help the library achieve its mission; plans for future upgrades;
- Works in collaboration with area leaders to select and maintain technology that benefits Peorians, including entrepreneurs and students;
- Works in collaboration with the Director to develop and maintain the Media Lab at Peoria’s Main library;
- Maintains, troubleshoots and repairs all network and server hardware components; configures replacement servers;
- Maintains and troubleshoots network software;
- Performs updates for all server/infrastructure software;
- Oversees and maintains all WAN/LAN infrastructure; oversees and maintains phone systems;
- Purchases and maintains service contracts on copiers, computers, servers and routers;
- Ensures network and workstation security;
- Troubleshoots all IT related problems; works with staff to identify solutions and/or best practices; provides high level customer service;
- Develops and monitors the department budget; develops projections of needs and expenses; recommends budget adjustments; authorizes and monitors departmental expenses;
- Maintains a variety of documentation, including IP address charts and password lists;
- Prepares the monthly circulation statistics report;
- May be required to work in multiple locations and on any of the 7 days of the workweek (Sunday – Saturday);
- Attends meetings and participates in committees and organizations that further the library’s mission and goals; and
- Keeps abreast of technology and library developments by attending workshops and educational programs and reading periodicals and specialized literature; attends staff meetings.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of Peoria Public Library’s policies and procedures;
- Ability to act as a representative of Peoria Public Library to the public;
- Effective decision-making skills with strong customer focus;
- Extensive knowledge in all aspects of information technology application and maintenance;
- Ability to plan, implement and evaluate IT services;
- Ability to accurately identify and respond to the IT needs of the library in a timely fashion;
- Ability to effectively develop, manage and monitor department budgets and expenses;
- Ability to effectively supervise and motivate staff;
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse individuals (customers and staff) in order to accomplish library and department goals and objectives;
- Ability to maintain a pleasant and productive working atmosphere;
- Ability to keep all relevant parties informed of all major issues and to recommend changes as appropriate;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other staff;
- Knowledge of electronic resources, including the Internet and database information management;
- Ability to operate relevant computer systems, including hardware and software, computer networks, and office machines and other equipment; and
- Ability to obtain a valid IL driver’s license.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BA/BS in computer science, information technology or a related field;
- Three - five years relevant experience including experience in network management, Windows Server Operating System, voice and data networks;
- OR equivalent combination of technical training, education or experience.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
Work requires routine physical effort in the handling of light and moderately heavy materials of up to 50 pounds. May require standing for long periods of time and frequent stooping and bending.
Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, libraries, classrooms or meeting and training rooms, e.g., use of safe work place practices with office equipment, avoidance of trips and falls and observance of fire and building safety regulations and traffic signals when driving.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
$64,000 to $99,000 a year
Peoria Public Library
107 NE Monroe St
Peoria, IL 61602
How to apply
To apply, please submit your Cover Letter, Resume and Application Form
in person or via email to
Or mail to:
Peoria Public Library
ATTN: Jenny Ulrich
107 NE Monroe St.
Peoria, IL 61602-1070
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m., Monday, August 16, 2021