Reference and Instruction Librarian | Black Hawk College
Posted on May 25, 2021
The Black Hawk College Library seeks a full-time Reference and Instruction Librarian at our East Campus Library located in Galva, Illinois.
The Reference and Instruction Librarian provides library instruction and reference services to students, employees, and community patrons; selects physical materials and digital content for the library’s collections; promotes the library’s collections and services via marketing and outreach; and develops and maintains the Library’s website and online resources.
DESCRIPTION OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
- Assists library patrons with reference and research questions, in-person and virtually.
- Plans, develops, and teaches face-to-face information literacy classes and library orientations.
- Designs, implements, and facilitates online library instruction.
- Works with faculty to integrate information literacy skills and library resources into the curriculum.
- Collaborates with faculty and librarians to assess student learning outcomes regarding information literacy skills.
- Develops research guides, video tutorials, bibliographies, and other instructional materials to support student and curricular needs.
- Assists with selecting and deselecting materials for the library’s physical and digital collections.
- Promotes library resources and services via marketing strategies and outreach programming.
- Works with the College Webmaster on the design and maintenance of the library website.
DESCRIPTION OF OTHER DUTIES:
- Investigates, evaluates, and recommends new and emerging technologies that will improve or expand services, collections, and access to library resources.
- Serves as library liaison to instructional departments.
- Serves on committees and task forces as needed.
- Provides specialized research assistance or consultation to faculty, administration, college units, etc. as needed.
- Participates in professional development opportunities relevant to the needs of the position.
- Assists with circulation duties as needed.
- Maintains confidentiality of patron and materials records.
- Works evenings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- ALA-accredited M.L.S. or M.L.I.S. degree required.
- Two years library experience required, academic library preferred.
- Experience assessing student learning preferred.
- Experience teaching information literacy in a traditional and online classroom setting preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of online research databases and print reference required.
- Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office, required.
- Excellent communications skills and customer service skills required.
- Demonstrated oral English proficiency required.
Minimum salary $39,679 per year.
Black Hawk College
26230 Black Hawk Road
Galva, IL 61434
How to apply
For more information about this position and to apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/bhcedu/jobs/3095115/reference-instruction-librarian
Applications will be accepted through June 13, 2021.