Digital & Maker Services Manager | Indian Trails Public Library
Posted on Jan 8, 2021
The Indian Trails Public Library District (ITPLD) has an exciting opportunity for an individual with excellent leadership abilities and experience in digital and maker services to be part of a dynamic library. This position is part of the management team in a customer centric focused and collaborative team environment. The ideal candidate will be diplomatic, flexible, exercise independent judgment and effective decision making and be committed to serving the members of our community. The Digital and Maker Services Manager would exemplify the library's values of service, respect, trust, compassion, innovation and curiosity in order to cultivate the library's culture. This job is 37.5 hours per week.
The library has a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, mandatory IMRF participation, 457(k) retirement plan, as well as vacation and sick time. The library also supports continued learning and professional growth.
We serve 67,000 residents in the communities of Wheeling, Buffalo Grove and Prospect Heights. We are committed to our vision of embracing culture, connecting community and igniting curiosity.
Some of the job duties include:
- Provide leadership within the department as well as throughout the library as part of the management team to ensure a customer centric focus and collaborative team environment.
- Manage digital and maker services for library members of all ages, including materials, programs, outreach, technology, physical space design, and daily appearance.
- Provide budgeting, evaluation, development and implementation of related services and programs with collaboration with other library departments.
- Supervises assigned employees, including hiring, creating staff schedules, delegating responsibilities, evaluating, fostering creativity, offering continuing education opportunities, rewarding innovation, recognizing outstanding work and encouraging library-wide communication.
- Ensure that staff is trained to provide accurate, timely information using current and innovative practices and procedures and are comfortable providing extraordinary customer service by initiating patron contact.
- Oversee the development, teaching and evaluation of a variety of technology, digital and maker programs on devices, applications, digital media tools, workshops on 3D modeling/printing, laser cutting and similar maker programs.
- Oversee the selection, maintenance and inventory of circulating and non-circulating technologies, including, but not limited to Android tablets, IPads, sewing machines and maker kits.
- Oversee the development of drop in and 1:1 digital and maker services to members.
- Evaluate and provide input for policies and procedures. Offer improvements, evaluate effectiveness, and scan the environment for trends and opportunities.
- MLS plus minimum five years progressively responsible experience, including management and supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and both verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, be detail-oriented, and possess time management skills.
- Knowledge and/or experience with library services including but not limited to reader's advisory, programs, book discussions, digital media instruction and STEM/maker services.
- Knowledge of relevant technologies such as, but not limited to basic CAD and vector drawing design, video/audio production, photography, graphic design, sound recording and set up, coding and emerging technologies as well as interest in learning about digital technologies and makerspace initiatives.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office, the internet, and related open source applications; familiarity with Apple, Microsoft and Android systems; experience with general troubleshooting and maintenance of computers and other equipment.
- Ability to read computer screens, type accurately, and move about staff and public areas. Ability to push and pull carts weighing up to 40 pounds as well as lift and sort materials of various weights up to 50 pounds.
- Must have reliable transportation to the library facilities and other locations as needed and be able to work days, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Indian Trails Public Library District
355 Schoenbeck Road
Wheeling, IL 60090
How to apply
Send a cover letter and resume via email to HR at email@example.com.
Please include the job title in the subject line.
No phone calls please.