Call for Presenters–ACRL Workshop on Research Data ManagementJune 5, 2016
ACRL is accepting applications from prospective new presenters for the workshop “Building your Research Data Management Toolkit: Integrating RDM into Your Liaison Work”. The day-long workshop will be led by two expert presenters at locations across the country. This new in-person workshop will provide professional development support to librarians who wish to know more about data management. It is intended to assist liaisons and other librarians in identifying existing skills and mindsets that transfer to research data management services, and to then create a learning plan for the RDM specific knowledge needed to serve their subject disciplines and users.
The target audience for the workshops is subject liaison librarians, as well as other non-data specialists who are seeking to engage with research data management for the first time, or who have a very basic knowledge of research data management. ACRL seeks to expand our pool of presenters by recruiting experienced individuals to join our existing team. Presenters may also be asked to present webcasts.
- membership in ACRL
- conversance with the issues and challenges in the area of research data management, and scholarly communication issues and trends in academic libraries/higher education
- demonstrated ability to engage in collaborative planning
experience working in academic or research libraries
- availability to participate in curriculum updates and workshop planning during monthly one-hour conference calls
- availability to attend a roadshow to be offered in fall, 2016, to shadow current presenters, then to co-present an average of two workshops per year
- prior attendance at an ACRL Scholarly Communication “Roadshow” workshop
- experience as a subject liaison librarian
- experience with instructional design or workshop design and meeting facilitation
The workshop content is dynamic and evolving, and the new presenters will participate in shaping the curriculum as a collegial partner with the current presenters and curriculum designers. The initial workshop curriculum has been designed and will be piloted soon. New presenters would be expected to participate in curriculum updates.
New presenters will gain experience by shadowing experienced presenters and team-teaching a section or assignment before taking a leading role. The new presenters will ideally participate in two workshops during fall/winter, 2016/17, and present a minimum of two workshops per year thereafter. Presenters may need to participate in planning calls and/or in-person meetings held in conjunction with the ALA Midwinter and/or Annual Conference. Presenters must be able to participate in a training session, currently being created, for presenters of all ACRL professional development licensed workshops. ACRL will reimburse the presenters for travel costs for workshop presentation to include flights, hotel, ground transportation, and per diem for meals. ACRL provides a modest honorarium to experienced presenters.
How to Apply
To apply, please prepare the following materials. Applications must be submitted electronically as a single PDF document that includes the following materials.
- a statement addressing the following areas (two pages max for all)--please use examples of your instructional experiences in your response including links to teaching materials, videos, etc.
--Why do you want to be a presenter for this workshop?
--Demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of research data management issues by selecting
an element and discussing it in detail.
--What experience do you have in developing curricula?
--Are there relevant experiences of which you would like us to be aware?
- your resume
- the names and contact information for two references who have direct knowledge of your experience and expertise
The single PDF application must be submitted via email by 5:00 PM CST on Friday, July 8, to Yasmeen Shorish, member of the ACRL Research and Scholarly Environment Committee, at email@example.com. ACRL has formed a small review team, separate from the current presenters, to consider applications and conduct telephone interviews. The group will select new presenters for 2016- 2017 and notify all applicants by August 8, 2016.