Manager, Public Services (F/T), MFRE14372LRC | College of DuPage
Posted on May 13, 2022
Manager, Public Services (F/T), MFRE14372LRC
The College of DuPage is a comprehensive community college located 27 miles west of downtown Chicago, vitally connected to our local area for over 50 years. We prepare students for a lifelong passion for learning on our 273-acre campus which is home to nine associate degrees and a wide variety of professional and technical certificates. Many of these credentials prepare students to seamlessly articulate into the baccalaureate programs of our higher education partner institutions.
College of DuPage is committed to student success and values an inclusive and welcoming community environment. We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workforce. Our connection to the larger metropolitan area is essential to our success and provides a wealth of diverse cultural and recreational opportunities.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Manager of Public Services provides coordinated oversight and leadership for Library circulation, resource sharing, reserves and equipment distribution, reference support, and circulation systems, directly supervising department leaders in these respective areas. Under the direction of the Associate Dean of Library, the Manager works collaboratively with faculty librarians, supervisors and key personnel in Administration, Technical Services, Computer Support and Printing Services, Media Lab, and College Archive to ensure that the Library provides exceptional, mission-centered service for the College community. These objectives are met through planning, assessment, reporting, and development of resources and personnel within the Public Services department.
• Ensure that Public Services operates efficiently and effectively by continuously reviewing and improving procedures, recommending policy changes, and identifying and delivering appropriate staff training.
• Hire, supervise, develop, and evaluate supervisors and classified staff in the Public Services department; support and mentor department supervisors in their responsibilities to hire, supervise, develop, and evaluate classified staff.
• Oversee and coordinate services and classified staffing at the circulation and reference desks; resource sharing order fulfillment; campus-wide equipment deliveries; collection maintenance and inventory; and monitoring patron use of the Library facility.
• Provide leadership for the Circulation and Reserves & Distribution teams that assist patrons at service desks and virtually with collections and equipment checkouts, study room access, patron accounts, and general information. Also provide strategic oversight for reserve collections, specialized equipment, and long-term technology lending.
• Provide leadership for the Reference Support team in assisting patrons at service desks and virtually with identifying, locating and retrieving information and library materials.
• Provide leadership for Resource Sharing including participation in the I-Share consortium, interlibrary loan with libraries throughout the country, and leveraging openly licensed content to meet patron information needs.
• In coordination with I-Share catalog consortium staff, oversee the ongoing implementation and development of the library management system (LMS) circulation, reserves, and reporting modules to ensure integrity of the patron database, circulation records and fines, and descriptive records for reserve materials. Review and develop system-generated patron communications.
• Resolve public service related complaints from Library patrons (faculty, staff, students or community).
• Oversee the training and professional development of public services staff and work with other Library departments to provide training and professional development opportunities related to public service as appropriate.
• Prepare preliminary budget requirements for the department; oversee development and production of department activity reports; contribute to Library planning and assessment activities.
• Make final decisions on billing of non-returned or damaged items and refer delinquent patron accounts to the proper collection source.
• Serve on appropriate departmental, institutional, and professional committees and groups.
• Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Graduate coursework in Library Science preferred.
- Five (5) years' of experience in a library public service setting required; academic library experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience in a public service environment required; supervisory experience in a library preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills required.
- Proficiency in written and spoken English required.
- Current and skilled in the use of office technologies and academic tools and resources required.
- Standard office equipment and software; specialized library systems, equipment and software, including Ex Libris Alma/Primo, Springshare, and accessibility tools; communication via email, telephone, chat, and video conferencing. Working with cash, credit card and library security devices.
- Considerable amount of contact with staff and patrons in an active environment requiring excellent people skills as well as adaptability, flexibility, good judgment and integrity.
- Must be able to spend extended periods of time at a computer keyboard and monitor; Vision adequate to ready a variety of print materials and computer screens.
This position requires a background check and drug screen.
Managerial 7 Salary
Competitive starting salaries are dependent on education and experience. College of DuPage also offers a generous benefits plan.
College of DuPage is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to diversity and creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
College of DuPage does not discriminate against individuals in employment opportunities, programs and/or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, veterans' status, marital status, disability, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, or on any other basis protected by law.
425 22nd St
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
How to apply
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/3068591