Library Director | Seneca Public Library
Posted on Jun 3, 2021
The Seneca Public Library District, Seneca, IL is currently seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Library Director. Reporting to a 7-member elected board, the director manages a staff of 4 full time and 5 part time employees and an annual budget of $760,000.00. Seneca Public Library District is a rural library district serving a population of 4,548 and covers parts of LaSalle and Grundy Counties and includes parts of multiple school districts, including Seneca Township High School, Seneca Grade School, Mazon Grade School, and Milton Pope Grade School. It is part of the Reaching Across Illinois Library System (RAILS). Seneca is 60 miles from Chicago, 20 miles from Starved Rock State Park and is situated directly on the Illinois River and the scenic I & M Canal corridor.
Reporting directly to the seven member Board of Trustees, the Library Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of library operations to efficiently and effectively serve the public needs. We are seeking a candidate with strong leadership and organizational skills who is willing to improve general operations, staff interactions, policies, inventories, programming and financial procedures.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides a leadership role in the library
- Evaluates operations and activities of the library, plans for future needs, develops library collections and services and adopts and implements new services
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with library patrons, other governmental agencies, civic and community groups and the general public
- Develops staff job descriptions, recommends and administers personnel policies involving hiring, evaluating, promoting and terminating staff
- Promotes staff morale through communication, staff meetings, in-service programs and staff trainings
- Formulates and recommends policies to the library board and implements board adopted policies and library procedures
- Oversees the automation and technology needs and maintenance of the library, implements new technology as appropriate
- Attends library and professional meetings and participates in regional and statewide professional activities
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of library philosophies, practices, procedures and technologies
- Ability to set priorities, make decisions, and exercise discretion with patrons and staff
- Ability to think analytically and to exercise initiative
- Ability to prioritize work, meet established deadlines, delegate duties and attend to detail as appropriate
- Ability to develop and implement policies and procedures
- Ability to hire, train, supervise, discipline and evaluate staff at all levels of experience
- Ability to work effectively as a team
- Knowledge of library budgetary and fiscal practices and library law
- The Seneca Public Library benefits package includes health, dental, and vision insurance, as well as participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), and paid time off (sick and vacation).
- Preferred - MLS from ALA accredited college or university, plus five (5) years of progressively responsible library administration experience.
- Candidates must be able to successfully complete a job-related background check.
Starting at $55,000/negotiable based on qualifications and education.
Seneca Public Library
210 N Main St
Seneca, IL 61360
How to apply
Interested persons should apply by submitting a resume, cover letter and three references to Ms. Paula Freepartner, Board President. Questions may be directed to the same address.