Youth Services Department Head | Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
Posted on Mar 27, 2019
Are you passionate about serving children and their families in a public library setting? Would you like to join and lead an outstanding and creative Youth Services team?
The Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library is looking for an enthusiastic manager to join our Youth Services team as its new Department Head. Our Youth Department staff works as a cohesive team, providing excellent programs, collections and services for children, birth to 5th grade and their families and caregivers, having a lot of fun along the way!
The Youth Services Department Head is responsible for the supervision of staff and operations of the Youth Services department and contributing to the development of the Library as a part of the management team. Duties include providing and cultivating excellent customer service, managing the daily operations of the department, providing and guiding reference services, oversight of youth programming, creating and fostering opportunities for community engagement and partnerships, and facilitating collaboration across departments.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Administrative duties, such as planning and preparing work schedules; preparing and monitoring departmental budgets; preparing and monitoring monthly, quarterly, and annual department statistics; maintaining, developing, and communicating accurate and current policies and procedures for the department.
- Supervisory duties, such as conducting employee performance evaluations and coaching; providing regular feedback and support; ensuring a high level of productivity among department staff; documenting and addressing performance issues; planning and leading staff meetings/trainings; assisting in recruiting and training new staff; ensuring staff participation in devising and achieving departmental and library goals; supervising volunteers.
- Operational duties, such as setting and adjusting workflow priorities; ensuring departmental contribution to online content; delivering and managing customer service at the reference desk or other service points as needed; resolving patron complaints/issues; overseeing the development and implementation of innovative programming; marketing library materials, collections, and services; seeking and promoting engagement with community organizations and agencies.
- Leadership duties, such as working with the management team to update and develop policies and procedure, identify and address library and community needs, develop innovative library initiatives, and contribute to strategic planning.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of the position. There may be other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AND PREFERENCES
- Required: Indiana State Library Librarian Certification Level 3 or above or the ability to attain one within 18 months of beginning the position.
- Required: ALA Accredited Library Science Degree
- Preferred: 2-4 years of experience working in a public library
- Preferred: Previous management experience
- Required: Ability to work with Windows-based software programs
To perform this job successfully, the job candidate must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily, either with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Frequently: reading, writing, eye-hand coordination, hearing, seeing, and talking. Occasionally: standing, sitting, walking, and pushing. Rarely: pulling, bending, and squatting.
This opportunity is full time, exempt, with shifts scheduled on weekdays, evenings, and weekends. Benefits include health, dental, vision, short and long term disability, a 457 voluntary retirement plan, and life insurance. This position is also eligible for PERF (Public Employee Retirement Fund) and the Library will cover both the employer and the employee’s share of the contribution.
$43,567.00 - $65,328.00
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library
250 N. Fifth Street
Zionsville, IN 46077
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter, your resume and a job application to email@example.com or Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Public Library, 250 N. 5th St., Zionsville, IN 46077, Attn: Human Resources.
For more information and a copy of the application, please visit: http://zionsvillelibrary.org/get-involved/employment/
Position open until filled.