The Illinois Library Association
The Illinois Library Association is the voice for Illinois libraries and the millions who depend on them. It provides leadership for the development, promotion, and improvement of library services in Illinois and for the library community in order to enhance learning and ensure access to information for all. This access is essential for an open democratic society, an informed electorate, and the advancement of knowledge for all people. Its primary goals are:
ADVOCATING FOR THE PUBLIC INTEREST
- develop and promote strong public policy related to libraries, literacy, and lifelong learning;
- defend intellectual freedom and access to information; and
- increase public awareness of the value of libraries to society.
PROMOTION EXCELLENCE AND INNOVATION
- provide outstanding programs of continuing education and leadership development;
- support the recruitment, retention, and professional development of a culturally and racially diverse workforce for libraries;
- produce high quality publications and communications; and
- celebrate the achievement of excellence and innovation on behalf of the membership.
MANAGING THE PRESENT TO PREPARE FOR THE FUTURE
In order to achieve these goals, ILA will use its resources wisely and maintain a flexible structure that promotes the diverse interests and broad participation of members.