Library Director | Edwardsville Public Library
Posted on Jan 11, 2018
The Board of Trustees of the Edwardsville Public Library is seeking an exceptional and innovative library professional to serve as Library Director. The Library Director is responsible for the planning, implementation, management and evaluation of all library services, with a focus on outreach. He or she will handle issues ranging from strategic planning and budgeting, to collection development, reference and community programming. The successful candidate will lead the library in continuing to provide outstanding library programs and services to the Edwardsville community.
The Edwardsville Public Library serves a population of 26,000 people in the county seat of Madison County, IL. Edwardsville is a progressive, thriving small city with a large student population from Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville. The library is one of the oldest in Illinois with an annual budget of $1.4 million.
This position involves the following duties and responsibilities:
- Evaluate, supervise, and develop library services, collections, programs, and departments.
- Draft and recommend policy to the Board and plan for the implementation of library goals and objectives.
- Work with the Board to develop a strategic plan and vision for the library.
- Supervise and evaluate the library staff.
- Prioritize and delegate weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual, and long-term tasks and projects.
- Prepare, execute, understand, and manage the annual budget in partnership with the Accountant.
- Direct and control the departmental expenditures within the constraint of approved budget.
- Advocate for the library by networking and collaborating with community leaders and organizations.
- Direct the development, repair and maintenance of the library building. This includes negotiation of service contracts (in partnership with the Facilities Coordinator).
- Prepare for and attend Board meetings. This includes preparing meeting Agendas and Board packets, as well as gathering, utilizing, interpreting and presenting relevant information to the Board so they may make informed decisions.
- Prepare IPLAR, Per Capita Grant, and Tax Levy Request annually.
- Serve as the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) officer for the library.
- Pursue and apply for applicable grants for library programs and services.
- Attend continuing education conferences/classes and local, regional, and state library professional meetings and conferences.
Education: MLS or MLIS from an institution accredited by the American Library Association (preferred) or Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Nonprofit Management or similar field.
Experience: Five (5) years of experience in a highly responsible supervisory or administrative position in either a library or related organization or any combination of education or experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills to allow successful performance of the job.
- Initiative, awareness, and vision in developing library services.
- Understanding of common personnel management methods to lead and engage a thriving staff.
- Highly effective communication and problem-solving skills.
- Extensive knowledge of public library operations and familiarity with local and state laws.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with trustees, city officials, community organizations, staff, and patrons.
- Full working knowledge of library automated systems and technology.
- Understanding of current and emerging library trends and practices.
- Intellectual curiosity and an eagerness to explore new ideas.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (including Excel).
Salary based on experience. Full time position, excellent vacation, sick leave, and health care benefits.
Edwardsville Public Library
112 S. Kansas Street
Edwardsville, IL 62025
How to apply
Please send via e-mail a letter of application addressing the position, a current resume, and complete contact information for at least three professional references to Francie Powell, Chair, Personnel Committee, Board of Trustees of the Edwardsville Public Library – firstname.lastname@example.org.
No hard copy or phone calls accepted. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.