Dean of Libraries | Northeastern Illinois University
Posted on Nov 13, 2017
Northeastern Illinois University invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of Libraries. The Dean reports to the Provost; is responsible for all Library curricular, budgetary, and personnel matters; and provides leadership/vision in fulfilling the Library and University missions and goals.
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Second master’s degree
- 5 years of experience as a unit head or higher
- Demonstrated knowledge of both public and technical services processes and systems
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing successful, creative, and responsive annual and multi-year strategic planning initiatives in a changing environment
- Demonstrated fiscal and physical planning and management of a library
- Demonstrated participation in local, regional, and national library organizations
- Demonstrated record of excellence in librarianship, research/creative activities, and service to qualify for tenure and appointment to the rank of Associate Professor
- Work effectively in a multicultural, diverse, and complex university environment with staff, faculty, and administrators
- Recruit, supervise, and retain both Library faculty and Library support staff
- Serve as the Library’s key advocate and champion to internal and external constituencies
Knowledge and Skills:
- Current issues and trends in academic librarianship and in higher education
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral, and written communication skills
- Experience in fundraising and/or grant writing for library or nonprofit organizations
- Analyze complex problems, devise innovative solutions, and perceive the implications and potential consequences of various situations
- Engage in a participative management style
- Foster professional growth for Library faculty and staff
Knowledge and Skills:
- How to work effectively in a collectively bargained environment
- Issues and operations of a public institution of higher education
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System.
Northeastern Illinois University
Ronald Williams Library
5500 N. St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625
How to apply
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following within one PDF document to LibraryDeanSearch@neiu.edu.
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for this position
- A current resume
- A statement regarding your demonstrated record of excellence in librarianship, research/creative activities, and service to qualify for tenure and appointment to the rank of Associate Professor
- Contact information for three (3) current professional references
- Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts will be required of candidates selected for on-campus interviews
This position requires a background check
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) you must also submit to LibraryDeanSearch@neiu.edu the following documents:
In addition to the links provided above for the Employment Application (fillable), Affirmative Action Form and Statement of Annuitant Status, you can also obtain these forms at the NEIU Office of Human Resources, Bernard Office Building (B0B), 5555 N. Bernard Street, Chicago, IL 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.