Director of Adult Services | Danville Public Library
Posted on Nov 6, 2017
Danville Public Library, located in Danville, Illinois, seeks a Director of Adult Services to manage a department that performs reference services, assists patrons with public access computers, carries out research in the areas of genealogy and local area history, and creates programs for adults. We are looking for someone with strong communication, organizational, and collaboration skills. The successful candidate must be creative, people-oriented, and passionate about library services. Working with the Assistant Director, the Director of Adult Services will be instrumental in introducing new services, while maintaining still-needed traditional services, in order to meet the needs of the community.
Danville Public Library is an active municipal library in east central Illinois, serving a population of 33,000 with a mix of urban and rural. It serves as the county seat and has an operating budget of $1,863,650. The library serves 500 patrons daily and circulated 126,700 items in 2016.
The Director of Adult Services position is a full-time (37.5 hours/week), exempt, managerial position that supervises four employees and reports to the Assistant Director. Flexible schedule; may work weekdays, evenings, and/or weekends.
- Master's degree in library science and a minimum of two years of satisfactory public library experience or its equivalent.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Ability to lead and supervise staff;
- Be capable of consistently high standard of performance;
- Possess the ability to organize, plan, develop, and carry out a program of services;
- Have in-depth knowledge of books and other library materials, procedures, policies, and professional objectives and responsibilities;
- Have an advanced ability in effective verbal and written expression and communication
- Demonstrated initiative;
- Advanced ability to communicate and work harmoniously and effectively with all levels of staff, and to write detailed and meaningful reports and proposals;
- Be capable of careful and analytical problem‑solving and planning;
- Possess a keen sense of awareness of changing situations and need for change and/or corrective action.
- Residency requirement: Must live in Illinois either in Danville or within five miles of Danville city limits.
Also, must be able to lift 20-25 lbs.; bend, stoop, reach, push and pull loaded book carts; and demonstrate proficiency with computers, technology, and the Internet.
Salary begins at $47,114 based on qualifications and experience, plus a full benefits package.
Danville Public Library
319 N. Vermilion St.
Danville, IL 61832-4769
How to apply
View the full job description at www.DanvillePublicLibrary.org. Interested candidates should submit PDF copies of a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references to Suzie Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please, also, complete the employment application at www.DanvillePublicLibrary.org.
First consideration will be given to applicants who respond on or before Friday, December 1, 2017.