Senior Access Services Assistant | School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Posted on Feb 14, 2017
Reports to and assists the Access Services Manager in all areas of front-line library access services: circulation, interlibrary loan, course reserves, copyright clearance, basic reference, facilities access, and general collections management. Collaborates with colleagues throughout the library to enable a positive library experience for all SAIC students and faculty, during evening and weekend shifts.
- Assists with basic reference services and visitor assistance as needed, providing excellent customer service
- Provides interlibrary services via I-Share, OCLC, and other partners. Helps collate interlibrary loan statistics and other management data.
- Provides course reserves services, interacting with other libraries and agencies as needed.
- Understands and is able to effectively apply the principles of fair use as they pertain to interlibrary loan and course reserves. Assists with copyright clearance as needed.
Other areas of responsibility may include, but are not limited to: statistical reports, ongoing record keeping, circulation, access to facilities and equipment, and general collections management.
Night and weekend hours are required (3pm - 10pm M-Th, 11am-6pm Sun). Responsible for closing the library on assigned days.
In the absence of the Access Services Manager, assumes responsibility for: supervision of Student Workers; shelving and stacks maintenance; the general appearance/condition of public facilities and equipment.
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends
- Proficiency using integrated library systems (ILS), OCLC, and/or other systems commonly employed in library access services preferred
- Understanding of and ability to communicate the basic principles of library resource sharing, copyright and intellectual property issues for academic libraries, collection management and basic preservation concerns
- Supervisory experience; bachelor’s degree; background in the arts
- At least 2 years work experience within a large-scale library consortium
- Experience working in an academic library, especially at a school of art or design
Commensurate with experience
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
John M. Flaxman Library
37 S. Wabash, 6th floor
Chicago, IL 60603
How to apply
Please go to http://www.artic.edu/employment to apply.
The Art Institute of Chicago is an equal opportunity, equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace.