Library Director | Wauconda Area Library
Posted on Jan 9, 2020
We are seeking an experienced library executive to become an influential leader within our valued community institution. The Wauconda Area Library is an award winning, high tech facility located in the scenic surroundings of the Northwest suburbs of Chicago. We employ a team of dedicated, friendly professionals who provide an outstanding service to an appreciative community. Are you visionary, collaborative, and a good listener? If so, this is the job for you.
Wauconda Area Library (WAL) prides itself on providing and promoting a variety of library resources and services in response to the informational, educational, cultural, and recreational needs of both the residential and business communities. In order to ensure the highest quality in achieving this purpose, the Library utilizes current technology administered by a courteous, well-trained staff. The library employs a staff of 55, servicing a population of over 27,000 in the communities of Island Lake, Lakemoor, Lake Barrington, Port Barrington, Volo, Wauconda, and unincorporated Lake County. For additional information please visit us at https://www.wauclib.org/
- Develops and sustains a public information program that effectively informs the community about library services and promotes a strong library presence in the Wauconda area community. Represents the library on occasions that require professional competence for promoting library services, programs and goals, and for explaining policies, procedures and operations. Pursues and maintains contact with other community organizations, including serving as a liaison to the Wauconda Area Library Foundation, and develops methods of cooperation. Establishes effective working relationships with community leaders and officials and serves on committees of community organizations whose efforts may affect the nature and quality of library service.
- Fulfills all legal requirements related to the administration of a public library district in the State of Illinois, including but not limited to tax administration, annual report to the Illinois State Library, annual independent audit of the library’s financial activities, annual Per Capita Grant application and implementation, and compliance with prevailing wages laws.
- Develops the library’s overall vision, goals and objectives into the library’s strategic plan that integrates the ideas, needs, and wants of the community, board, and staff.
- Stays abreast of new technologies and library trends. Identifies, assesses feasibility, and implements information technology services that respond to the needs and interests of the community.
- Provides regular reports to the library board of trustees about the status of the library and its services, resources and usage. Attends and prepares background materials for board and board committee meetings, and provides information, counsel and advice on all matters that are considered. Recommends and helps formulate policies and policy changes. Executes decisions of the board. Serves as the library board’s liaison to the staff and community.
- Oversees the finances of the library, monitoring current expenditures and revenue, forecasting future trends, developing annual budgets and long-range financial plans, and providing the library staff with the necessary resources and budget to serve the community.
- Develops and pursues supplemental funding, such as federal, state, and local grants and fundraising efforts.
- Provides for recruitment, training, supervision, evaluation, motivation and ongoing development of a highly effective, responsive and service-oriented staff. Directly supervises and evaluates the performance of the management team. Indirectly supervises and evaluates library staff.
- Develops and coordinates the implementation of major projects that affect all areas of library operations and services.
- Resolves all administrative and procedural emergencies. Responds to emergency calls from fire and police during library closed hours and handles critical incidents & complaints with the public and staff.
- Develops professional skills, knowledge, and abilities through workshops, conferences, professional affiliations, and examination of professional literature. Uses this knowledge to analyze and improve the library's public services, facilities, technology, staff development, and up-date the library board on current methods and trends.
- MLS (MLIS) degree or equivalent academic credentials required.
- Eight years of public library experience in increasingly responsible positions, including at least 4 years of library management/administrative experience required.
- Strong management, financial planning, team-building, and problem-solving skills with leadership skills emphasized, including excellent verbal and written communication and negotiation skills required.
- Ability to speak to diverse groups concerning library affairs required.
- Intermediate to advance computer and information technology skills, including word processing/spreadsheets, presentation software, Internet, social networking, and various business productivity software required.
- Ability to handle critical incidents and resolve conflicts involving patrons, staff, materials, or facilities required.
- Ability to participate in meetings and conferences outside normal working hours required.
- Broad knowledge of the principles and practices of librarianship, including current library practices, technology and operations highly desirable.
- Working knowledge and experience with business negotiations, including contracts, insurance, banking and finance, building and renovation programs desirable.
- The ability to work daytime, evening, and weekend hours as needed required.
In addition to salary, we offer health and dental insurance, IMRF, 4 weeks of vacation, 12 sick and 3 personal days a year.
Wauconda Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Wauconda Area Library
801 N. Main Street
Wauconda, IL 60084
How to apply
If you consider yourself a highly skilled influential professional and desire an environment where you will have more of an impact, our opportunity is for you.
For consideration, please forward your resume with cover letter via https://wauclib.recruitpro.com/jobs/109069.html