Part Time Instruction Librarian | Dominican University
Posted on Nov 22, 2019
FLSA STATUS: Hourly, non-exempt
DEPARTMENT: Rebecca Crown Library Instruction Department
REPORTS TO: Instructional Services Librarian
JOB STATUS: Part-time 20 (between 20 and 29 hours/week)
EMPLOYMENT DATES: Immediate Opening- May 15, 2020
PRIMARY PURPOSE/ POSITION SUMMARY:
The part-time Instruction Librarian provides information literacy instruction to undergraduates and graduate students and develops/updates instructional technology. Under the direction of the Online Learning and Instruction Librarian, the instruction librarian develops lesson plans for in-person and online teaching in a variety of subjects. The instruction librarian will participate in other areas of the Rebecca Crown Library as directed which may include LibGuide creation and maintenance and other tasks as assigned. Provides reference service including chat reference. Some hours can be scheduled regularly with flexibility required to accommodate instruction requests; some evening classes may be required. This is a part-time, hourly, position for spring semester 2020 averaging 25 hours/week. This is a limited appointment with anticipated employment dates through May 15, 2020; renewal of the appointment may be possible based on university needs and job performance.
EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL DOMINICAN EMPLOYEES:
To support the University's mission of preparing students to pursue truth, to give compassionate service, and to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world.
JOB COMPONENTS/PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Teach LIB 102, the information literacy component of English 102 of as part of the foundations requirement of the core curriculum.
- Teach subject-specific library “one-shot” sessions.
- Create online learning materials to supplement “one-shot” sessions and as stand-alone modules for subject-specific classes.
- Update existing videos using Camtasia, Panopto, and Powtoons.
- Provide reference assistance.
- Create and update LibGuides.
- Perform other duties as requested, delegated or assigned.
About Dominican University:
Dominican University is a Catholic, comprehensive teaching university located in River Forest, a suburb of Chicago, with an enrollment of about 3,000 students. The University is designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution, with 48% of undergraduates first generation in college, 68% female, 57% Hispanic of Any Race, and 5% Black/African-American. Dominican University’s mission, in part, is to prepare students to participate in the creation of a more just and humane world. Toward that end, the university is committed to building a culturally diverse educational environment. For more information about Dominican University, see www.dom.edu
Dominican University is an equal opportunity employer. The University is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse faculty and staff committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We look forward to a diverse pool of applicants who bring varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds. Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to individuals with disabilities.
All qualifications are required unless otherwise indicated.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Effective presentation and teaching skills
- Familiarity with current theory, practices, and issues related to information literacy, instructional pedagogy and design
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff
- Demonstrated commitment and enthusiasm in providing compassionate service and teaching to all library users
- A strong commitment to supporting cultural competencies, diversity, equity and inclusion in higher education
Education and Experience:
- MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited graduate program
- At least one year of instruction experience in an academic library setting
A background screening is required.
7900 W Division Street
River Forest, IL 60305
How to apply
All applicants must apply online at https://jobapply.page.link/Fgh7. Please provide cover letter and resume, including a list of at least three professional references.
Applicants who progress in the search process will be asked to provide letters of recommendation and official transcripts. Submission instructions will be provided.
For a full list of job openings, see www.dom.edu/jobs.
« Return to JobLine