Young Adult Librarian | Westchester Public Library (IN)
Posted on Nov 4, 2019
Westchester Public Library is seeking a Young Adult Librarian to serve teens and tweens. Candidates must be dedicated to public service and to serving patrons in a consistently professional manner.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service skills.
- Develops and implements programs, clubs, special events, and initiatives for teens (ages 13-18) and tweens (ages 8-12).
- Supervises, trains, coordinates, and evaluates the work of teen volunteers, ages 14-18.
- Develops and maintains a safe, engaging environment for teens and tweens.
- Acts as a library advocate for young adults and their families.
- Provides reference and readers’ advisory to patrons of all ages during scheduled public service desk shifts.
- Performs collection development for the YA print and electronic collections; identifies reading trends among teen/tween patrons.
- Carefully monitors materials and programming budgets and expenditures.
- Creates and implements community outreach to schools and other local entities/organizations to promote library services.
- Compiles statistics and prepares reports.
- Shows initiative and ability to work independently without close supervision.
- Collaborates with Branch Manager and other programming staff to share individual plans and work on larger initiatives such as the summer reading program.
- Creates displays, bibliographies, and other promotional materials to enhance the Library experience and promote resources.
- Reports personnel, building maintenance, and security issues to the Thomas Branch Manager.
- Follows Library policies and procedures; ensures that staff follow Library policies and procedures.
- Seeks out and attends professional development and continuing education opportunities.Participates in committees and special initiatives.
- Other duties as needed.
Must be willing and able to handle challenging situations and multiple priorities. Must have strong organizational skills. Must have strong verbal and written communication skills. Must be proficient in office productivity software, databases, and emerging social media platforms, especially those frequented by teens. Must have integrity, be open to ideas, be inclusive of diversity, and be able to find humor in the everyday.
Westchester Public Library offers health insurance coverage to full-time employees and pays the employee portion of the premium, along with making a generous annual contribution to covered employees’ Health Savings Accounts.
Benefits package includes 20 vacation days per year for professional full-time staff, in addition to sick leave accrual and 12 holidays.
Westchester Public Library offers INPRS retirement savings along with the option to participate in Hoosier S.T.A.R.T retirement savings.
Westchester Public Library operates two circulating libraries, a service center, and the Westchester Township History Museum. The library district is a merged town-township district located on the southern shore of Lake Michigan, forty-six miles from Chicago, and serves the towns of Chesterton, Porter, Burns Harbor, and Dune Acres. The town of Chesterton contains a variety of thriving shops and restaurants and is four miles from Indiana Dunes National Park.
- Normal library/office indoor working conditions; mild exposure to office/maintenance chemicals (cleaning solutions, glue, paint, and similar).
- Noise level is typically low to moderate, with occasional high noise levels due to well-attended programs or high amounts of patron traffic.
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions:
- Both move about and sit for long periods of time.
- Manipulate books and other materials, paper, computers and other technology.
- Speak, listen, and communicate clearly with others.
- See and read; appropriately distinguish words, letters, and numbers.
- Frequent reaching with hands and arms.
- Infrequent climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling.
- Frequent moving or lifting of up to 30 lbs.
- Frequent pushing of book carts weighing up to 75 lbs.
- Occasional travel and moving and carrying materials to and from various locations.
- Occasional exposure to outside elements of heat, cold, rain, snow, or ice when traveling.
- Master of Library Science degree from ALA-accredited school.
- Relevant public library experience preferred.
- Ability to achieve Indiana Library Certification 3 within six months.
- Willingness to work in a shift rotation of evenings/weekends, and special events.
Negotiable depending on qualifications.
Westchester Public Library (IN)
200 West Indiana Avenue
Chesterton, IN 46304
How to apply
To apply, email PDFs of the following:
- Cover letter explaining your qualifications for the role.
- Current resume.
- Three professional references, to include one former or current supervisor.
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Open until filled.