Technical Services Coordinator | Oesterle Library, North Central College
Posted on Oct 21, 2019
1. Supervises acquisition of all library materials.
a. In conjunction with director of library services, develops and evaluates acquisitions policies and procedures.
b. Continually reviews and monitors vendors for monographic, serial, and
c. Investigates electronic resource pricing and licensing, and coordinates
purchasing and implementation.
d. Manages the receipt, review and disposition of gift materials.
e. Manages library information resources allocation formula, monitors
operating, endowed, and restricted budgets for acquisitions, and
provides periodic reports to stakeholders.
f. Conducts annual continuations review, analyzes usage and cost data, and develops continuations budget.
g. In consultation with Director, coordinates library participation in collection development grants or awards; with the Director’s approval, may participate in library grant applications.
h. Supervises operational activities, including verification and ordering receiving and returning of materials, and payments of invoices.
2. Supervises cataloging, classification, and processing of all library materials.
a. In conjunction with director of library services, develops and evaluates cataloging policies and procedures.
b. Performs or supervises original and copy cataloging, supervises maintenance and revision of records in the online catalog, electronic journal lists, and other electronic information resources.
c. Supervises reclassification of items already in collection.
d. Oversees unit processing and repair activities
e. Supervises dissemination of information about new acquisitions.
f. Supervises deselection and disposition of withdrawn materials.
g. Supervises maintenance and organization of periodical stacks, and oversees microform equipment.
3. Manages collections and technical services unit operations
a. In conjunction with director of library services, develops and evaluates technical services policies and procedures.
b. Performs and supervises compilation and analysis of collection statistics.
c. Generates collection reports from the integrated library system.
d. Develops and evaluates unit workflow and procedures.
e. Oversees management of technical services unit student assistants.
f. Prepares unit training materials and collections documentation.
4. Coordinates the effective use of library technology systems
a. Advises and makes recommendations on library purchases of computer hardware, software and supplies.
b. Installs and updates library-specific software packages.
c. In conjunction with the Access Services Coordinator, provides local support, training, and system administration for I-Share system, and coordinates maintenance activities with CARLI
d. Advises and assists library staff in use of software and resources available through the campus network and other sources.
5. In conjunction with the Coordinator of User Services, updates and maintains the user interfaces for library software applications, including discovery systems, link resolvers, and library catalog web interfaces.
6. Regularly assesses technical services operations.
7. Participates in reference, instruction, and collection development activities.
a. Provides reference service at scheduled times.
b. Prepares and conducts library instruction sessions.
c. Serves as a library liaison to a particular division, which includes annual collection development and library instruction responsibilities.
8. Cooperates as a team member with the library staff in performing any duties essential to efficient library operations.
9. Attends seminars and training sessions to improve or update position-oriented skills and knowledge, when appropriate and funds permit.
10. Participates in local, state and national library organizations, when appropriate and funds permit.
11. Fulfills other related duties as assigned by designated supervisor (s).
Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution required.
1. Excellent speaking and writing skills as well as interpersonal, organization, and managerial skills, required
2. Knowledge of Dewey Decimal Classification, Library of Congress subject headings, RDA, and MARC required.
3. Experience using integrated library computer systems, bibliographic utility databases, and Internet based ordering systems, required. Experience with administration of automated library systems, preferred.
4. Experience with acquisitions and cataloging workflows (including serials and electronic resources) required. Experience in a consortia environment, preferred
5. Excellent management, training and supervisory skills. Ability to hire, train and supervise paraprofessional and student staff. Have ability to lead, review the work of, and prioritize assignments of others.
6. Ability to troubleshoot library technology, including the integrated library system, required.
7. Ability to collect, organize and interpret data necessary to participate in long range planning in the Technical Services unit.
Oesterle Library, North Central College
320 E School Street
Naperville, IL 60540
How to apply
Interested applicants can find further information about the position and application process at: https://northcentralcollege.peopleadmin.com/postings/6819