Director | Maplewood Public Library
Posted on Jun 10, 2019
The Maplewood Public Library has an opening for library director. The Library serves the approximately 8,000 residents of Maplewood, Missouri, an inner-ring suburb of St. Louis. Maplewood, which was incorporated in 1908, is a diverse, middle class, historic residential area. Its vibrant downtown includes a wide variety of shops and restaurants. More information may be found on the city website: www.cityofmaplewood.com
Maplewood Public Library was founded in 1935 and is one of the oldest libraries in the St. Louis area. The Library belongs to the Municipal Library Consortium of St. Louis County, nine-member cooperative of independent libraries with reciprocal borrowing privileges. http://www.maplewood.lib.mo.us/mapgando.htm
Overview: Under the general supervision of the Library Board of Trustees the Director performs and is responsible for varied administrative and professional work related to planning, organizing, and directing all aspects of library services for the City of Maplewood.
The Board is seeking an innovative and energetic leader who is committed to providing quality library services to the community. The ideal candidate needs strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills, and experience with library systems and technology.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Supervises approximately ten employees, including both full time and part time staff.
- Prepares and administers an annual budget of approximately $550,000.
- Actively seek grants, donations and other new sources of non-tax funding.
- Plans, organizes, evaluates and administers the activities, programs, and services of the Library according to perceived needs of the community.
- Develops print and non-print collections, including selection, organization, maintenance, preservation, withdrawal, and disposal of materials, either directly or through appropriate delegation.
- Develops short-term and long-range goals and plans for collections, services, and programs in keeping with the library's mission statement and operating policies.
- Plans, organizes, and manages technical and automation services for the library.
- Confers with the Library Board of Trustees to establish operating policies and to review the library's menu of services.
- Reviews and evaluates the library's services and programs on an annual basis.
- Directs the development, repair and maintenance of the Library building, equipment, furniture, and supplies.
- Acts as the representative of the Library to individuals and to professional and community organizations.
Position to begin mid to late October 2019.
- Master's Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Studies, preferably from an ALA-accredited university.
- 5 years of increasingly responsible experience as a librarian in a public library, including 3 years of supervisory experience in library, branch, or department management.
Competitive salary and benefits package include health insurance as well as a retirement pension plan through Missouri LAGERS.
Maplewood Public Library
7550 Lohmeyer Ave.
Maplewood, MO 63143
How to apply
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter to Evan Loveless, Trustee at: firstname.lastname@example.org A full job description is available via e-mail upon request.