Library Systems and Data Coordinator | PrairieCat
Posted on Nov 8, 2018
The Library Systems and Data Coordinator serves as one of the primary administrators of PrairieCat’s Innovative Sierra Integrated Library System (ILS). The Coordinator assists with ensuring excellent services to member libraries by working with libraries to configure and maintain key elements of the online system. Daily responsibilities include making systems setting changes, running reports, providing training, answering help desk tickets and overseeing special projects to support members. This position has a key role in the Library Services team, and participates in day-to-day library system operations and troubleshooting, member library operations, special projects, and training.
About PrairieCat: More than 125 libraries in Illinois share an integrated library automation system known as PrairieCat. By sharing the cost of central site equipment, computer and database maintenance staff, and telecommunications, libraries of all sizes (including public, academic, school, and special) have found it possible to join the consortium and to realize the advantages of automated resource sharing.
This position is located at our offices at the Reaching Across Illinois Library System, at either the Coal Valley or Bolingbrook service center.
- Oversee and carry out strong project management practices throughout the life cycle of special projects, including initiation, planning, execution, controls, closing.
- Assist member libraries in configuring codes, parameters, and options of the ILS to best meet the needs of their collections and organizations.
- Troubleshoot ILS software and configuration issues with PrairieCat and member library staff.
- Provide support and expertise to member libraries in areas of responsibility via any available channels, including help desk, phone, and site visits.
- Perform maintenance activities as directed to ensure quality control of the integrated library system data and configuration files.
- Collaborate with PrairieCat and member library staff on the efficient and effective implementation of software, hardware, and other PrairieCat operations.
- Perform system configurations and customizations as directed.
- Participate in the testing of new and upgraded software.
- Troubleshoot software issues with PrairieCat and member library staff.
- Oversee and carry out the daily operations of PrairieCat in specific areas of responsibility.
- Provide coordination and consulting services to new or upgrading members.
- Produce daily, monthly, and special reports and notices for member libraries.
- Plan, prepare, and present training for members in areas of responsibility.
- Create and maintain training materials for staff and members.
- Create and maintain procedural and operational documentation for PrairieCat.
- Maintain awareness of best practices and emerging trends by participating in conferences, workshops, and other learning activities.
- Participate in the development of new services to provide continued excellent and innovative services to PrairieCat members and their end users.
- Participate in the testing of new and upgraded software.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with other staff to ensure seamless member support and other PrairieCat activities.
- Work independently with little to no supervision during part of the working day
- Represent PrairieCat in relevant user groups, associations, and committees.
- Initiate and monitor support tickets with integrated library system and other vendors in areas of responsibility.
- Assist with development, maintenance, and enhancement of the online catalog as appropriate.
- Assist Library Services Manager with member communications, including mailing lists and other methods.
- Participate in and assist with PrairieCat governance, user group, and committee meetings as directed.
- Develop and maintain content for the PrairieCat support website.
- Provide on-call support to members during some evenings, weekends, and holidays on a rotating basis.
- Participate in and assist with regular site visits with members.
- Responsible for maintaining timely and transparent member and staff communication about special projects.
Knowledge and Experience:
- BA/BS required, MLS preferred
- 3 years library experience, preferably including circulation and/or cataloging; customer service experience required
- 2 years of experience with library automation systems preferred
- Experience in developing and delivering training
- Knowledge of library technology, terminology, and procedures
- Knowledge of member relations management
- Experience working with and supporting clients with various levels of technical expertise
- Ability to use extensive workplace technology including email, Internet, office software, remote collaboration tools, and other software.
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong customer service orientation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with member library staff and colleagues
- Ability to exercise initiative and good judgment, solve problems, and work without close supervision
- Ability to be meticulous and detail-oriented
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to organize and analyze raw data
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Normal office working environment
- Ability to communicate in person and via phone, videoconferencing, and email
- Must be able to input data, read computer screens and printed material, type, file, and operate office equipment
- Must have a valid driver's license with a clean driving record
- Ability and willingness to work varied hours, extended hours and to travel occasionally on behalf of PrairieCat.
- May use personal vehicles (if possible) on occasion for business travel within service area. Mileage is reimbursed using federal guidelines.
Primarily sedentary work, but also requires standing, sitting, walking, stooping or crouching, kneeling, reaching, pushing and/or pulling , talking, hearing, grasping, lifting and carrying light to moderate weight such as books, supplies, and file boxes
$44,861-$56,077/year, DOQ plus benefits
Reaching Across Illinois Library System Service Centers
1000 W Crossroads Pkwy
Bolingbrook, IL 60490
How to apply
Please send resume, cover letter, and job application to:
Elizabeth Smith, HR and Administrative Assistant
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please download and complete the application form at: https://support.prairiecat.info/node/2596
Please note, this position is located at our offices at the Reaching Across Illinois Library System, at either the Coal Valley or Bolingbrook service center.
Application Deadline: Open until filled