Youth Services Assistant Manager | St. Charles Public Library District
Posted on Nov 7, 2018
Full Time Position
Recently our Youth Services Department has undergone a change in management and is rebuilding with talented Youth Services Librarians. At this time we are seeking an Assistant Manager for Youth Services to contribute to our department’s success. The award-winning St. Charles Public Library District is located in the scenic Fox River Valley, 35 miles west of Chicago. The Library serves a district population of 55,092 residents and has a staff of 110.
Schedule: 37.5 hours a week – Full Time - Will include some evenings and weekends.
- Assists with the planning, implementation, management and evaluation of Youth Services activities and events; assists with the coordination of youth-related community engagement initiatives and programming partnerships.
- Contributes to the overall quality of the department's service provision by assisting with developing and coordinating work teams and by reviewing, recommending and implementing improved policies, procedures and services in relation to the changing needs of the community.
- Recommends and assists with the selection of staff; assists with training and professional development; recommends discipline as required.
- Assists with annual budgeting for Youth Services.
- Coordinates youth collection materials; collaborates with the Collection Management Librarian and youth material selectors to maintain relevant and useful collections of physical and digital materials; serves as department collection management expert.
- Manages relations with electronic resources vendors; negotiates contracts; evaluates current resources, evaluates new resources; approves payments for services within assigned budget; collaborates with Electronic Resources Librarian.
- Does collection development and maintenance for assigned area(s); understands and applies general professional, as well as library-specific, collection guidelines; spends and tracks within the collection budget appropriately.
- Plans and implements youth reader services assuring high quality consultation, book lists, staff development for advisory services and literature-related programs; plans advisory services; leads Reader Services Creation team, oversees reading level and book review databases.
- Develops procedures and trains staff; provides and oversees reader services including preparation of booklists and other user resources; display; book talks and reviews; book discussions; and other collection-based programs.
- Develops and maintains website reader services; monitors changes and trends in reader services and popular culture, incorporating appropriate changes in the program; coordinates youth summer reading and family read-aloud promotions.
- Resolves patron conflicts; addresses concerns; maintains positive relationships and superior customer service.
- Provides reference, reader advisory, library services and bibliographic instruction to patrons; models best practices in these areas for staff.
- Performs routine ASK ME Desk services and activities daily, a minimum of 8 hours/week.
- May serve as a liaison between the library and consortium, and community groups; speaks at community events and promotes library services and programs.
- Monitors developments in library services; participates in professional development activities such as self-directed learning, webinars, and meetings; provides recommendations for service improvements/changes as assigned.
- Prepares and interprets circulation and collection statistical reports; provides regular reports of department activities, as required.
- Maintains the confidentiality of patron records and transactions.
- Serves as “Manager in Charge”.
- Contributes to the efficiency and effectiveness of the library’s service to its patrons by offering suggestions and directing or participating as an active member of a team.
- Represents the organization with dignity, integrity, and a spirit of cooperation in all relationships with staff and the public.
Master’s Degree in library sciences; AND three (3) years of experience in library youth services functions, with one (1) year experience in a supervisory/managerial role.
Range $47,775 -$62,107- $76,440 (Salary will depend on experience.)
St. Charles Public Library District
1 S. 6th Avenue
St. Charles, IL 60174
How to apply
Applications can be found at http://www.stcharleslibrary.org/employment
Electronic applications and resumes may be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The St. Charles Public Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer