Senior Cataloging & Database Specialist - RSA | RAILS - Reaching Across Illinois Library System
Posted on Nov 2, 2018
Who we are…..
RAILS is one of two multi-type regional library systems in the state that serve and partner with academic, public, school, and special libraries. We are headquartered in Burr Ridge, IL and have service centers in Bolingbrook, Coal Valley, East Peoria, and Rockford which serve a 27,000 square mile area in northern and western Illinois. RAILS employees provide support services for the Resource Sharing Alliance NFP (RSA) library automation consortia operations. RSA is an organization of 147 libraries in central and west central Illinois that provides library services to over 900,000 people.
Who we seek……
We are seeking a strong candidate who is versatile and a good team player to help us provide great service to RSA's member libraries, their patrons and students. The Senior Cataloging and Database Specialist's primary responsibility is to work closely with the RSA Cataloging and Database Supervisor to maintain the quality and integrity of the RSA bibliographic database, MARC records, and digitally archived records. The Senior Cataloging and Database Specialist will also serve as an integral member of the RSA centralized cataloging team, providing support for the cataloging operations of RSA member libraries by processing their copy cataloging submissions. Additionally, the Senior Cataloging and Database Specialist will assist with on-site visits and training sessions to help keep our members cataloging to the best of their abilities.
- The initial focus of the position is to perform necessary quality control measures to maintain the integrity of the database, such as correction of existing errors, duplicate record removals, and the upgrade of minimal bibliographic records
- Perform copy cataloging duties relating to bibliographic records including (but not limited to) searching, editing, and loading bibliographic records on behalf of RSA member libraries into the database
- Provide cataloging support and troubleshooting for RSA member libraries by phone, fax, and email
- Work with the RSA Cataloging and Database Supervisor in the review of authority issues, data entry issues, and problem resolution
- Monitor and initiate technical trouble tickets with the ILS vendor
- Assist with planning and presentation of workshops, training sessions, and committee meetings
- Perform special projects assigned by RSA Cataloging and Database Supervisor or RSA Director
- Participate in professional development activities hosted by organizations such as ALA, ILA, and NISO to maintain awareness of emerging cataloging trends
- Work independently with little to no supervision during most of the working day
Other Potential Duties:
- Represent RAILS and RSA in relevant user groups, associations, and committees
- Participate in and assist with RSA governance, user group, and committee meetings as directed
- Collaborate with RSA and member library staff on the efficient and effective implementation of software, hardware, and other RSA operations
- Participate in the testing of new and upgraded software
- Assist with development, maintenance, and enhancement of the RSA online catalog as appropriate
- Develop and maintain content for the RSA support website
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with other staff to ensure seamless member support and other RSA activities
- Responsible for maintaining timely and transparent member and staff communication about special projects
- Produce daily, monthly, and special reports and notices for member libraries
- Assist with planning and presentation of training for members
- Create and maintain training materials for staff and members
- Create and maintain procedural and operational documentation for the RSA
- Strong customer service and teamwork orientations
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with member library staff and colleagues
- Excellent written and oral communication skill
- Ability to take direction, exercise initiative and good judgment, make recommendations, and work without close supervision
- Ability to be meticulous and detail-oriented
- Ability to effectively organize
- Ability to propose creative solutions and effectively resolve problems
- Must have a valid Illinois driver's license with a clean driving record for occasional travel
What we offer…….
We offer a comfortable office working environment, competitive pay, and an excellent benefits package which includes health insurance, retirement plans, flexible spending, and paid time off. Our employees are encouraged to seek out professional development opportunities to keep us on the leading edge in our industry.
- Associate's degree required, LTA preferred
- 2 years library technical services experience; customer service experience required – copy cataloging experience highly preferred
- Experience working with an integrated library system – 1 year of SirsiDynix Symphony Workflows experience a plus
- Working knowledge of MARC (Machine-Readable Cataloging), Dewey Decimal and Library of Congress classification systems, subject and genre headings, and popular cataloging tools including OCLC Connexion
- Some knowledge preferred of RDA (Resource Description and Access), FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records), FRAD (Functional Requirements for Authority Data), metadata and linked data
- Working familiarity with OPACs (Online Public Access Catalogs)
- Ability to use extensive workplace technology including email, Internet, office software, remote collaboration tools, and other software
$32,000 - $39,000
RAILS - Reaching Across Illinois Library System
600 High Point Lane
East Peoria, IL 61611
How to apply
Deadline Date: Monday, November 26, 2018.
To apply, send your resume with a cover letter with Senior Cataloging & Database Specialist in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.