Health and Human Services Librarian | Governors State University
Posted on Jul 3, 2018
GSU seeks an innovative, adaptive and collaborative Health and Human Services Librarian who will engage with Health and Human Services faculty, students and other campus partners to shape a dynamic teaching, learning and research environment. The position is open until filled, with an anticipated start date of September 1st, 2018.
The Health and Human Services Librarian is a member of the team of reference librarians who, as liaisons to students and faculty in academic departments, provide a range of reference services, course-related library instruction and collection development support. The Health and Human Services Librarian serves as the liaison to the programs of the College of Health and Human Services, including Social Work, Addictions Studies and Behavioral Health, Community Health, Health Administration, Nursing, and Communications Disorders.
A critical aspect of this position involves maintaining a strong presence in the GSU Health and Human Services community, building and maintaining close relationships with faculty and students to meet their teaching, learning, research, and publication needs. Liaison duties include providing instruction/lab sessions, workshops, and targeted reference services, through individual and group consultations. Also in conjunction with program faculty, the librarian will assess digital and print collections to ensure access to resources that support their research and teaching.
The work schedule consists of regularly scheduled shifts or times at the reference desk, including evening and weekends. The person also provides reference service and instruction on general topics; develops and maintains digital subject guides and tutorials as assigned for the library website, as well as other duties as assigned.
Librarians at GSU are Unit A Tenure Track members of the University faculty and are expected to meet yearly retention and promotion benchmarks as outlined by existing division criteria. Library faculty provide University and external service, and undertake research, resulting in dissemination of knowledge in scholarly products. Library faculty are expected to meet standards for teaching/primary duties, research and service.
- ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS.
- Second master’s degree completed or to be completed within one year of date of hire.
- Experience providing reference service including in the digital and web environment.
- Experience teaching library instruction or information literacy, including developing learning outcomes, activities and assessment.
- Knowledge of current research and information sources in a broad range of Health and Human Services or related social science/science disciplines.
- Current awareness and comfort with technology pertaining to health science human services/social science librarianship.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to move seamlessly from the professional environment to the teaching/learning arena and to write, speak and teach effectively.
- Ability to work collaboratively with teaching faculty, library faculty and staff, students, staff and administrators and community users in a diverse academic environment.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in science and/or health sciences
- Academic library experience
Governors State University
1 Unversity Parkway
University Park, IL 60484-0975
How to apply
Governors State University website http://employment.govst.edu/postings/3602
Contact Human Resources at GSU-HR@govst.edu if you have questions.