Library Director | Washington District Library
Posted on Jun 30, 2018
Within the goals, policies and guidelines established by the Library Board of Trustees, the Director assumes overall responsibility for the development and delivery of quality library services and for the administration, operation and security of the library.
Duties and Responsibilities
Customer Service & Community Relations
- Promotes friendly, efficient and knowledgeable customer service.
- Develops and sustains a public information program that effectively informs the community about the library services and promotes a strong library presence.
- Establishes effective relationships with community leaders and officials, friends of the library, and other library partners (e.g. Washington Area Community Center, schools, museums, etc.).
- Promotes cooperation with RAILS (Reaching Across Illinois Libraries System) and area libraries.
- Develops the overall vision, common goals and objectives of the library, integrating the ideas of the public, Board of Trustees and staff.
- Oversees the management of library collection.
- Directs the preparation of library publicity and public relations programs.
- Recommends and establishes new services and programs.
- Stays abreast of new technologies and library trends through professional organizations and literature.
- Participates in local, state, national organizations, institutes and workshops for continuing library education.
Administration & Human Resource Management
- Provides for the recruitment, training, supervision, evaluation and ongoing development of staff.
- Recommends new policies and changes in existing policies.
- Provides for the development, repair, maintenance, safety and security of the library buildings, equipment and furnishings.
- Oversees and evaluates the effectiveness of all aspects of day-to-day library operations (e.g. scheduling, collection development, patron services and materials processing).
- Oversees automation and technology needs and implements new technology as appropriate.
Financial & Legal Management
- Develops and prepares the annual budget, appropriations and tax levies for the approval of the Board of Trustees.
- Implements and manages the approved budget, monitoring and controlling approved expenditures.
- Monitors and evaluates cost and adequacy of insurance coverage and services.
- Consults with the auditor and attorney on matters pertaining to district assets.
- Ensures compliance with relevant federal, state and local laws and complies with requirements for good standing in regional and state library system.
Board of Trustee Relationship
- Provides regular reports to Board of Trustees about status of the library including resources, services and usage.
- Attends and prepares background materials for the Board and Board Committee meetings and provides advice on all matters that are considered.
Pay and Benefits
The Library Director will receive health insurance benefits for themselves, four weeks of paid vacation, and an employer contribution to IMRF (Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund). Salary is commensurate with experience.
About the Library
The Washington District Library serves a population of nearly 24,000 and has an operating budget of approximately one million dollars. The library consists of a main library and branch location. It is located about fifteen minutes from the city of Peoria, IL. To visit the library's website, click here. For more information on Washington, click here.
- Master of Library Science (MLS) from an American Library Association (ALA) accredited program.
- Five years of professional library experience with at least two years of library administration or supervisory experience.
Salary commensurate with experience
Washington District Library
380 N Wilmor Rd
Washington, IL 61571
How to apply
Please send a cover letter, resume and 3 professional references to the Library Board at email@example.com. The position closes on September 3, 2018.