Cataloging & Database Coordinator | Reaching Across Illinois Library System
Posted on May 31, 2018
Who we are…..
RAILS is one of two multi-type regional library systems in the state that serve and partner with academic, public, school, and special libraries. We are headquartered in Burr Ridge, IL and have service centers in Bolingbrook, Coal Valley, East Peoria, and Rockford which serve a 27,000 square mile area in northern and western Illinois. RAILS employees provide the staff for the Resource Sharing Alliance NFP (RSA) library automation consortia operations. RSA is an organization of over 145 libraries in central and west central Illinois that provides library services to over 900,000 people.
Who we seek……
We are seeking a strong candidate who is versatile and a good team player to help us provide great service to RSA’s member libraries, their patrons and students. The Cataloging and Database Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to serve as an integral member of the RSA centralized cataloging team. This position will support the daily cataloging operations of RSA member libraries by processing their original and copy cataloging submissions. Additionally, on-site visits and member training sessions help to keep our members cataloging to the best of their abilities. This position will work closely with the RSA Cataloging and Database Supervisor to maintain the quality and integrity of the RSA bibliographic database, MARC records, and digitally archived records.
Core Job Functions:
- Provide cataloging support and troubleshooting for RSA member libraries by phone, fax, and email
- Perform duties relating to bibliographic records including (but not limited to) searching, editing, deriving, creating, and loading bibliographic records on behalf of RSA member libraries into the database
- Perform original cataloging as required
- Perform necessary quality control measures to maintain the integrity of the database, such as correction of existing errors, duplicate record removals, and the upgrade of minimal bibliographic records
- Work with the RSA Cataloging and Database Supervisor in the review of authority issues, data entry issues, and problem resolution
- Monitor and initiate technical trouble tickets with the ILS vendor
- Assist with planning and presentation of workshops, training sessions, and committee meetings
- Perform special projects assigned by RSA Cataloging and Database Supervisor or RSA Director
- Participate in professional development activities hosted by organizations such as ALA, ILA, and NISO
- Work independently with little to no supervision during most of the working day
Please see the online job description for additional information.
What we offer…….
We offer a comfortable office working environment, competitive pay, and an excellent benefits package which includes health insurance, retirement plans, flexible spending, and paid time off. Our employees are encouraged to seek out professional development opportunities to keep us on the leading edge in our industry.
- Strong customer service and teamwork orientations.
- BA/BS required, MLS preferred, related work experience in lieu of degree may be considered
- 1 year of original cataloging experience
- 3 years of copy cataloging experience
- 3 years library technical services experience; customer service experience required
- 1 year working with an integrated library system, SirsiDynix Symphony a plus
- Working knowledge of MARC and RDA (Resource Description and Access) cataloging
- Working familiarity with OPACs (Online Public Access Catalogs)
- Experience in developing and delivering training
- Ability to use extensive workplace technology including email, Internet, office software, remote collaboration tools, and other software
- Must have a valid Illinois driver’s license with a clean driving record for occasional travel
Reaching Across Illinois Library System
600 High Point Lane
East Peoria, IL 61611
How to apply
To apply, send your resume with a cover letter with Cataloging and Database Coordinator in the subject line to email@example.com.