Making our voices heard in Washington, D.C.
Join the Illinois delegation to travel to the nation's capitol and get our message out to Congress! ALA's National Library Legislative Day (NLLD) is a two-day event that brings hundreds of librarians, trustees, library supporters and patrons to Washington, D.C. Illinois has traditionally delivered one of the most robust delegations and we expect to do so again this year. National participation is limited to 400 people this year, so don't wait to register!
National Library Legislative Day 2020 takes place May 4-5, 2020
Monday May 4
- ALA Briefing Day, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Georgetown University Hotel & Conference Center, 3800 Reservoir Rd. NW, Washington, DC . 20057. This full day includes briefings on key issues as well as advocacy training for congressional visits and an opportunity for state delegations to meet.
- Congressional evening reception, 5:00-7:00 p.m., location TBA.
- Illinois Library Association dinner, 7:00 p.m., location & speaker TBA. This optional, separately ticketed event offers networking and socializing opportunities for the Illinois delegation and friends. Save the date for now and stay tuned for registration details.
Tuesday May 5
- Congressional visits with scheduled appointments from 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. ILA will schedule participants' appointments with your elected representatives, and will provide state-specific talking points.
- NLLD registration ($175) is handled through ALA. Illinois librarians will automatically be counted as part of the Illinois delegation. Your registration fee includes access to all sessions, training materials, personalized login information to the event app, leave behinds, three meal functions, a reception, and Tuesday's Congressional visits. The registration deadline is 4/6/20, but space is limited to 400 people total, so don't wait; the event may fill up prior to the deadline.
- Monday dinner registration ($50 for ILA members; $60 for non-members) is handled through ILA. Please save the date; registration will open in early 2020.
Attendees are responsible for their own hotel reservations. ALA has reserved a block of rooms at the Georgetown University Hotel & Conference Center (the same location as Monday's briefing events).
- A hotel reservation link will be included in your confirmation email for NLLD registration; you will need the NLLD confirmation number in order to request a hotel room.
- The rate for ALA's room block is $219 per room, per night, and is available for Sunday 5/3/20 through Tuesday 5/5/20.
What is National Library Legislative Day?
A two-day advocacy event where hundreds of library supporters, leaders and patrons gather in Washington, D.C. to meet with their members of Congress to champion national library funding and other issues. National Library Legislative Day also includes a virtual advocacy component for library supporters who cannot attend the Washington meetings—advocates have the option to work remotely to connect with legislators via phone calls, text messages, emails and social media platforms.
This is an opportunity for all Illinois librarians and library supporters to join together and make their voices heard on a national level.